General Category > General Discussion

Sorby/ Axminster toolposts

(1/3) > >>

icewoodturning:
Anyone know if the Sorby and Axminster toolposts have the same thread size, and what the thread size/s is/are.

Thanks

Bill21:
A friend has both types and he says they are not compatible.

I’m lead to believe the thread size on the Robert Sorby is 12mm x 1.25 metric fine. No idea of the Axminster thread but I could find out if needed.

Valkrider:
Sorby is definitely 12 x 1.25 I had to tap a thread recently for my router table that mounts in the banjo. This is a finer thread than normal for 12mm.

burywoodturners:
Why cant manufacturers stadadise more, for example power tool maker have a dust extraction point which will accepta vacuum cleaner?
Ron

Bill21:

--- Quote from: Valkrider on September 23, 2020, 04:03:31 PM ---Sorby is definitely 12 x 1.25 I had to tap a thread recently for my router table that mounts in the banjo. This is a finer thread than normal for 12mm.

--- End quote ---

Yes, M12 is normally 1.75mm which is quite coarse for an application like this.

Axminster may just have other ideas about the best thread for the job. Bit like lathes really, huge range of different spindle threads out there. It’s only in fairly recent years many manufacturers have settled on M33 x3.5 and even now apparently there are two different registration sizes.  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version