General Category > General Discussion

Which one ?? - jet 3520 B or Powermatic lathe 3520 C ??

<< < (2/3) > >>

kerrytruman:
Can you get a trip over to Axminster for a hands-on look at the Powermatic machine...?

Bill21:
Just out of interest but I think most Jet branded equipment is Chinese made? Anyone know where the Powermatic is made? Also do they both have the same warranty period and what about spares.

Colour wise the Jet Is nicer  ;D but the last time I ran my hands over a Powermatic at Axminster tools I must admit I was impressed.

Duncan A:
The Powermatic and Jet were the same machine, but the release of the "C" model under the Powermatic brand has changed things a little.
The 3520C has some improvements over the B:
Proper indexing
Magnetic, moveable remote controls. Relatively easy to retrofit these on the 3520B, see the Mustard Monster weebly
Closed legs
Tailstock quill with Acme thread (3520B is a "normal" thread - adequate, but not so strong)
Extended spindle nose for better access to the workpiece - the headstock block on the B sometimes gets in the way a bit (very minor issue)
Massively increased price!
Horrible mustard colour!

Duncan

Duncan A:

--- Quote from: kerrytruman on September 24, 2020, 09:25:37 PM ---I have access to the 3520b alongside a Stratos XL at work, and the Jet is my preferred go to machine over the two.. it’s a great machine and is very useable in both small and large job moments..
K

--- End quote ---
Not wishing to hijack the thread, Kerry, but intrigued as to why you prefer the Jet over the Stratos.

Duncan

seventhdevil:

--- Quote from: froggyie on September 24, 2020, 09:13:50 PM ---the powermatic 3520C is 30kg more and the price difference is only a few hundred quid

In the NEW catalogue 2020, the JET (3520) 2035-M is being replaced by the 2442 who look exactly like the powermatic 4224

very confusing all these models ref changes......

--- End quote ---

i missed the zero on that bit.

it's meant to say 30kg not 3kg...

i looked at the C model and could see exactly what they are doing. trying to get more dosh out of ones pocket for a not really any better machine...

unless you want to go for the upgrades on the new powermatic and know that they would suit your turnings then i would just go for the 3520B.

the odd one pops up second hand so why not keep an eye out for one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version