Author Topic: newbie  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Peterch

• iron
« on: November 11, 2020, 10:56:05 AM »
Hi

Thanks for letting me join the forum

I am a newbie having very recently joined this forum and purchasing a small lathe after years of wanting  to try my hand at wood turning.

Due to current situation I am unable to join any training workshops so have watched many videos on you tube etc.

As part of my purchase i also got some chisels and a couple of bowl blanks. I picked up some tree offcuts during my walk yesterday and would like to learn how to prepare for storage and drying prior to use. Before i destroy the blanks what recommendations can you give me  to try  to learn the skills required to make a keep able bowl.

looking forward to having a go!

Peter

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 12:36:16 PM »
Welcome to the group and be prepared to become hooked on woodturning.

The first piece of advice I received when starting was to buy a book: "Woodturning: A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley. An accompanying DVD is also available.

Dennis White produced an excellent series of DVDs for beginners covering various aspects of woodturning.

There are some excellent videos on YouTube but there are some poor ones as well. I suggest looking for ones that are aimed at beginners or concentrate on single turning tools. Mike Waldt has produced such a series so worth looking there. Colwyn Way has also produced some very good videos under the Axminster banner.

Picking up wood on your walks can be problematic as they are all owned by somebody. The best way to preserve them is to seal the end grain with PVA glue.

It is not worth wasting hard wood for practicing so when I started, I bought quite a bit of 2" x 2" and larger softwood from my local hardware shop.

What are you doing about sharpening your tools?
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline Peterch

• iron
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 01:12:41 PM »
thanks for response, I have permission from land owner to collect as woods are owned by livery yard owner where we keep our horse!

With regard to sharpening,  i have touched up the  "straight chisels " on a fine oil stone  but not really sure how to sharpen gouges as one of the seams to be at a strange angle (not symmetrical). I have a sharpening system for other chisels and drill bits but further advice would be most welcome.

peter

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 06:07:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum Peter. A standard bench grinder is a cheap option, either with or without jigs for sharpening your gouges. I’m guessing from what you’ve said you may already have one?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 08:18:46 PM »
Due to current situation I am unable to join any training workshops so have watched many videos on you tube etc.

Peter
Where abouts do you live, Peter....I'm assuming that you're in England but if you're anywhere near north Wales, drop me a line. I have re-commenced teaching under some very strict control measures, but am managing to hold a couple of sessions each week.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Peterch

• iron
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 01:28:32 PM »
Bill21
I have a mastersharp sharpening system , pretty basic but ok. What is best angle for Gouges?

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 04:29:17 PM »
Bill21
I have a mastersharp sharpening system , pretty basic but ok. What is best angle for Gouges?

I’ve never actually measured the angle on my gouges. Have a look here, they give a basic explanation to get you started.

https://www.tormek.com/media/448711/hb-10-en-v101-svd-185.pdf