General Category > General Discussion

Chuck choice

(1/4) > >>

Flame:
Hi people, have been turning between centres up till now, using live and dead centres. Now want to use a chuck, not clued up on them so asking for advice, after a decent one, size of blanks 12mm to
 33mm, is there any that would suit, tia  Bill.
Forgot to say it's  3/4''x x16tpi .

Bill21:
Any one of several makes of chuck would do the job. If you’re using blanks that small though your choice of chuck may be heavily influenced by the accessory jaws available. I’ve had a few chucks in the past but prefer the stainless steel Axminster SK100.

Dave Brookes:
I have three Axminster SK100 chucks and a variety of jaws can’t better them in my opinion.

Dave

Bill21:
They are the best I’ve used Dave. Being made in the UK of stainless steel is a bonus in my opinion but of course there are cheaper chucks out there that will do the job. I bought a RP SC4 as a second chuck for my Axminster lathe and it didn’t seem to fit the register as well as the SK100. I’ve also heard complaints of them going rusty.

BrianH:
I tried lots of different chucks during my 'Scribbling' years and my favourite would be the Sorby Patriot, which seems to have a greater range of movement than others. Also its cleverly designed jaws do a raft of different jobs according to how you employ them. Because of this 2 jawsets covers most requirements.
The chuck I would suggest you avoid like the plague (now there's an old saying that seems suddenly outdated!) is the Nova, which has a left handed scroll which means you undo to tighten up. If you think that wording is confusing just try using one!!!
Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version