General Category > General Discussion

best sphere jigs?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Bill21:
Just to add, although I made some observations of it, the Vermec jig linked in the OP looks far more solid made almost entirely of steel by the look of it.

seventhdevil:
it looks a cracker i'm just not sure i want to pay 400 AU dollars and delivery for something that i'll eventually sell and not get most of my money back for.

might think about keeping it though.

Bill21:
If you have a lathe with a modest centre height one of those jigs with the tall, relatively thin posts may be fine, on larger lathes though I’m not convinced by the design. I hasten to add though that the only jig I’ve used is mine and I’m happy with the design given it was made with what I had to hand. Some jigs though can be quite expensive, a German one I saw was over €600 and looked a bit fussy in design. Given the low cost I might be tempted by the eBay version. My problem is I like making tools!

seventhdevil:
i want the tool to have resale value if i decide to sell it. not confident on that ebay one. there must be a reason as to why no one raves about the design???

my lathe is a Jet 3520B and if Lazarus can use one of his VB then it should be fine on mine.

i'd use mine i made if only it would do balls that small.

you can see mine in operation here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L8gVf9UjV4

Bill21:
Can’t you just make a new cutter that will enable you to make smaller spheres? Your home made one looks pretty solid, I can’t help thinking you’d be disappointed in the commercial one you’re thinking of. If you do buy one though and find it works well it may be worth a quick review as it may help others.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version