General Category > General Discussion

New bee from Warwickshire UK

(1/2) > >>

tinyjames:
First thank you for adding me to this web site

I'm newish to turning and have my own lathe bought some time ago from Axminister. Yep I bought my lathe 9 years ago and in that time I have only made two pens and just the out side of a bowl.

the pen kits where bought from Axminister and the wood for the bowl was from a turning show. I have most of the chisels I need, I have a 4 jaw chuck and a pen jaws so I can drill out on Lathe,4 point center, Live centers, drill chuck for the tail stock, Beal mop system.

I have a jig sharpening system but I'm saving for a Axminister wet grinder system.

I am hoping to start turning some bowls but I'm looking also for some log's to turn some bowls. I do have some bowl blanks but they are expensive for anything of a good size.

James

Bill21:
Welcome to the forum James.

Wood spinner:

--- Quote from: tinyjames on November 26, 2020, 10:35:36 AM ---First thank you for adding me to this web site

I'm newish to turning and have my own lathe bought some time ago from Axminister. Yep I bought my lathe 9 years ago and in that time I have only made two pens and just the out side of a bowl.

the pen kits where bought from Axminister and the wood for the bowl was from a turning show. I have most of the chisels I need, I have a 4 jaw chuck and a pen jaws so I can drill out on Lathe,4 point center, Live centers, drill chuck for the tail stock, Beal mop system.

I have a jig sharpening system but I'm saving for a Axminister wet grinder system.

I am hoping to start turning some bowls but I'm looking also for some log's to turn some bowls. I do have some bowl blanks but they are expensive for anything of a good size.

James

--- End quote ---

Hi James , you need to understand that with wet systems you can't shape your tools , they need to be the correct shape and then you use the wet systen to just re sharpen the edge , Also when shaping please do not get the chisel / gouge HOT ( Turnes blue ) or that will alter the hardness of the edge , Keep dipping the tool in water to keep it cool while shaping
Have fun and welcome

Lets see you pens  ;)

Bill21:
Agreed about the wet grinder. They work fine but can be very slow for anything other than touching up an existing edge. Sooner or later you’ll probably want to grind a different profile on a tool and then you’ll need a bench grinder or something like the Pro Edge with a coarse grit belt.

tinyjames:
Thank you for the information on the wet stone system.

I do have a question with regards to cooling the chisels I recently watched a you tube video where this American gest/teacher was asked to do a demo at a turning club where he quotes that cooling hot chisels in water creates micro fractures in the chisels because of the complex carbons added to HSS steel.

I will see if I can find the video

James     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version