General Category > General Discussion

Wood ID PLEASE

<< < (2/4) > >>

seventhdevil:
that's not Robinia.

do you have any leaves?

i'm thinking Cotinus spp. smoke tree.

Tim Pettigrew:
Sadly by the time I got to see the logs any vegetation had been stripped off and mixed with the remains of other trees.

Thanks for the definite ruling out of Robinia which is unexpected and very intriguing.  Will look up Cotinus which is not a genus I have come across before....

John D Smith:

Hi Seventhdevil,
                        I would not doubt what you are saying your knowledge about wood and trees is second to none could you  put up a photo of Cotinus because as I said earlier I have used Robininia and what Bill was showing looked exactly like that.

Regards John

Les Symonds:

--- Quote from: John D Smith on November 30, 2020, 08:01:31 PM ---
 Hi Seventhdevil,
                        I would not doubt what you are saying your knowledge about wood and trees is second to none could you  put up a photo of Cotinus because as I said earlier I have used Robininia and what Bill was showing looked exactly like that.

Regards John

--- End quote ---
....there's some excellent images here..... http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/smoketree.htm

Les

seventhdevil:

--- Quote from: Tim Pettigrew on November 30, 2020, 07:18:53 PM ---Sadly by the time I got to see the logs any vegetation had been stripped off and mixed with the remains of other trees.

Thanks for the definite ruling out of Robinia which is unexpected and very intriguing.  Will look up Cotinus which is not a genus I have come across before....

--- End quote ---

Tim the log you have there has a spongy soft pith which your nail will easily gouge out but robinia is rock hard all the way.

i'm not 100% sure it is cotinus as it's been a long time since i turned it and to be honest the sapwood was much brighter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version