General Category > General Discussion

Anyone on here like me ?

(1/4) > >>

Wood spinner:
I have never owned or ever thought about buying or using a carbide tool ,

Am I alone in this ? :)

Bill21:
I’ve never bought one but I have made several of my own. I’m sure today’s ubiquitous HSS tools were considered far too expensive when they first came out and as we all know you can get a keener edge on some of the earlier tool steels than you can on HSS even if it doesn’t last as long.  ;)

bodrighywood:
I buy tools whe I need them or I see them in a boot sale or some such. I don't see the point in buying 'special' tools to replace ones I already have. Aren't going to  make me a better turner. Maybe if I need a new skew in a decade or so when the ones I have are all too short I might look at carbide LOL

Pete

tinyjames:
All my tools are HSS and that the way I like it. lets face it carbide tools are just scrapers as most are used as a peel cut or scrapers.

some one will come along to prove me wrong lol

James

Paul Hannaby:
I was unsure whether that question should have started "Is there" or "Does"! ;)

I do own a carbide tool. I made it myself a few years ago for the cost of the cutter. I think in 5 years or so I have owned it I have probably used it twice and one of those was pointless!

Even when I turned some resin I found a gouge worked better than the carbide tool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version