Author Topic: Shortage of Large bowl blanks  (Read 1009 times)

Offline tinyjames

• iron
Shortage of Large bowl blanks
« on: December 13, 2020, 02:11:19 PM »
Is it just the time of the year and it's normal for many suppliers to be short of large bowl blanks.

I was in Axminster about six or seven weeks ago looking for Large bowl blanks and couldn't find any in fact the only wood blanks was carving blanks Lime wood. even on the internet ebay and most of the suppliers I know are all sold out of 10x3 onward

James

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Shortage of Large bowl blanks
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 03:55:48 PM »
There seem to be much less of the larger thicker blanks around these days. I'm guessing the suppliers don't want to dry thicker than 2-3" boards as it takes too long and costs too much.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 04:00:43 PM »
perfectly normal.

i've collected lots of big exotics over the years for precisely that reason, they seem to be no longer available.

i like to turn big bowls and would always rough out and nest to as big a size as i could when possible.

as my business is changing i'm now starting to sell blanks so contact me if you are interested....

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 12:25:17 PM »
I've got a fair stock of large (ish) bowl blanks in all sorts of different species. Mostly green or part dried. Happy to ship anywhere in the UK or for you collect (West Midlands, Stourbridge). Pricing will be moderate, I promise.