General Category > General Discussion

Abrasive Wax

(1/2) > >>

Bill21:
I’ve never used it myself. Anyone on here who’s used it care to give their thoughts? I have the most common ingredients and the recipe is widely reported on the net so I’m sure I could mix some up easily enough?

Twisted Trees:
It does what it says on the tin. With Yorkshire Grit, it starts at about 300grit, but breaks down in use to about 1000grit so it can be used to finish "sand" from 240grit up, which is the finest and most dangerous dust nicely trapped in a mix of bees wax and mineral oil rather than floating around my workshop.

I don't bother to make it, a £10 tub lasts me between 6 and 12 months and puts a few coppers into Yandles stay open fund.

Bill21:
Thanks for that. There seem to be several makes on the market but Yorkshire Grit is available as standard and fine. I wonder why that is? Yorkshire Grit has now been reduced in price but is still more expensive than Yandles own brand and the Chestnut version.

Twisted Trees:
The Yorkshire grit fine is as it says a finer grit, much used by the resin turners (I don't turn any resin)

Bryan Milham:
I have the Chestnut Cut 'n' Polish, it's okay. But I also have Shela Wax EEE, which I consider the best abrasive wax going.

I have also made my own from Rotten Stone bought off the internet mixed with a bee's wax and a liquid paraffin wax to make it very soft to apply.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version