General Category > General Discussion

Info on Henry taylor gouge??

<< < (2/3) > >>

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: simon on January 28, 2021, 11:42:02 AM ---I'm hoping not C-steel as I only have CBN grinding wheels and iirc they are ruined by c-steel as not hard enough.

No sure it's been re-handled as no signs of bashing + got the rubber end bung on it they I believe only comes with the HS1 gouge from HT.

Think just an old one ......?

Simon

--- End quote ---

Bashing! I make most of my handles, reuse some others and there is never any sign of bashing!  :)
It says HS1 on the blade I would think that gives a very high confidence that it is HS1 steel which is a stainless steel alloy high in nickel low in carbon.

Bill21:
You could try a spark test.

https://recyclingsecrets.com/download/metal-id.pdf

Mark Hancock:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on January 28, 2021, 12:57:17 PM ---
It says HS1 on the blade I would think that gives a very high confidence that it is HS1 steel which is a stainless steel alloy high in nickel low in carbon.

--- End quote ---

HS1 is the code for the Peter Child designed 1/2 inch Superflute Gouge.

Sandy:
Hi Simon,

I agree with Mark's post 100%, it's a HSS superflute gouge.  HT did use the light colour handles to indicate tools were carbon steel.  So as you bought it second hand, this would suggest / confirm to me your handle is not the original handle.  Perhaps the original dark stained beech handle was damaged at some time.  So no need for concern  :).

Below text is taken from a HT tools brochure.

The colour of the handle readily identifies our turning tools.  Carbon steel tools are readily identified with the hardwood yellow tone handles, high speed steel with dark stained beech handles.

Turning Tool Handles
Carefully designed and finished in English hardwood. Turning tools can be supplied with or without handles.
Prefix T- Carbon Steel Prefix
HS-High Speed Steel[/right][/pre]

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: Mark Hancock on January 28, 2021, 04:56:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on January 28, 2021, 12:57:17 PM ---

--- End quote ---

HS1 is the code for the Peter Child designed 1/2 inch Superflute Gouge.

--- End quote ---

Damn... we need some more letters :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version