Author Topic: Creep Resistant glue  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Creep Resistant glue
« on: February 01, 2021, 08:15:48 PM »
I’ve used Titebond 3 for woodturning glue ups but it’s no good. The joint creeps and you can feel it after a few days or weeks.

Cascamite works but I’ve had a bad batch and there are some complaints going around about it.

I’ve just seen this though and wondered if anyone’s used it for segmented turning?

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/502-Weatherproof-Wood-Adhesive-v1.1.pdf

It says it’s “creep resistant” which few liquid adhesives claim to be.

Offline John Plater

• gold
Re: Creep Resistant glue
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 12:14:59 PM »
However creep resistant a glue claims to be it is still two or more pieces of wood stuck together which may well expand, shrink or distort at different rates leaving a glue line which might be felt. That is the joy of working with a natural resource  :)
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 02:42:37 PM »
However creep resistant a glue claims to be it is still two or more pieces of wood stuck together which may well expand, shrink or distort at different rates leaving a glue line which might be felt. That is the joy of working with a natural resource  :)
ATB John

I’ve not had this problem with Cascamite though, joints have stayed good.
It’s just that it’s a faff having to mix it up each time and my last batch was bad.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 05:38:33 PM »
I was renovating some chairs and the glue used was either cascamite or something like it. The wood had moved but the joint remained solid, the wood split on one side of the stretcher.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline jay

• copper
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 06:23:31 PM »
   All Titebond 's  normal ,  2 and 3 are PVA 's modifiied to increase water resistance and colder working  temperatures
  but like all PVA , wll creep . Plastic resin, Urea Formaldehyde and Epoxy are creep resistant 

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 07:26:11 PM »
   All Titebond 's  normal ,  2 and 3 are PVA 's modifiied to increase water resistance and colder working  temperatures
  but like all PVA , wll creep . Plastic resin, Urea Formaldehyde and Epoxy are creep resistant

Thanks, do you know of any examples of Plastic Resin adhesives?

Offline jay

• copper
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 09:03:10 AM »
   I would suggest that you do a search on plastic resin glue .As  some have a dark glue line  eg Resorcinal/Formaldehyde   which may be undesirable . it is difficult for me to name adhesives in the UK as Ii have spent most of the last 45 yrs out of UK,  a frequent visitor but rather out of touch with the range  of materials available here.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 02:57:46 PM »
After a brief search it appears the easiest to use alternative to powdered or two part adhesives is Polyurethane glue. This is a shame as I don’t like using it much, it’s horrible stuff if you get it on your fingers! Most versions are dark brown but I did see some somewhere that is clear so I think I’ll give it a try.

Offline jay

• copper
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 10:58:21 PM »
   Read the small print about the finish standard required . Because if there are voids it foams and the bond is weaker
 It also may  be moisture curing therefore the MC of the wood may be too dry and a spritz of water could be needed

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 11:15:55 PM »
I would be dubious of Polyurethane glue it is not as strong a bond as PVA especially if it foams great stuff in the right place but I wouldn't want it spinning while I cut the joint faces thin!

A  cabinet maker showed me a trick that may come in handy for you after setting your joint with PVA run a bit of CA along the edge this will hold it until the PVA has set.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)