General Category > General Discussion

Scroll saws

(1/5) > >>

bodrighywood:
I have an olsd scroll saw I was given a decade or so ago and it has become something I use more and more but is shall we say past its best. Much as I would love to get a hegner or equivalent I can't afford or justify that outlay for something I wouldn't use every day. I am using it to cut small shapes and inclusions in some projects and need something that is accurate, doesn't bounce around and vibrate like a suomo wrestler on a trampoline and doesn't cost the earth. Had a quick look on ebay but all the decent sales are collect only and too far away. Do any of you use one and if so any recommendations. I am looking at between £100 - £150 which is the lower end. Several in the field but not sure about some of them. Not Axmnsters biggest fan and everyone seems sold out of the record, only two makes I am familiar with in this price bracket.

Advice welcome please

Pete

Dancie:
Hello Pete, how many 'sumo wrestler on a trampoline' do you know or have you seen ? lol  :)

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: Dancie on February 28, 2021, 10:48:49 AM ---Hello Pete, how many 'sumo wrestler on a trampoline' do you know or have you seen ? lol  :)

--- End quote ---
None but got a great imagination. Describes the one I have now. Mo will happily use the bandsaw but the scroll saw scares her witless and shg-he won't go near it LOL.

Pete

Bill21:
I read up on them some time ago to see if it was possible to obtain a modestly priced model that worked well without too many issues. It seems not, unless you’re lucky. It also seems that one particular design is head and shoulders above all others and has been copied by several manufacturers, including Axminster.

https://www.dictum.com/en/scroll-saw-baal/pegas-scroll-saw-16-inch-720860

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-trade-series-ex-16-scroll-saw-101771

Sadly way outside my budget for just occasional use. Good luck with whatever you get.

bodrighywood:
Dictuim do make good tools but that is beyond my budget and may well cost a lot more now with custom and import tax as it's German. That and the hegner ones would be my first choice if I had the cash but I can't justify or afford that sort of cost at the moment.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version