General Category > General Discussion

Motor problems please help

(1/3) > >>

808raver:
I was wondering if anybody knows what's happening with my table saw? I got given a fantastic old (1940-1950's) 2HP table saw. It can take a 15" blade and is a real beast but after 3 uses it started blowing a fuse on start up every time. I looked on the motor and it says 12 amp on start, seeing as the plug can only take a 13 amp fuse and given its age I put a 15 amp fuse wire where the fuse should go, this has stopped it blowing a fuse but it's still very sluggish on start and sometimes I have to give it a hand to start by turning the pulley belt.
I was wondering if it could be the motor start capacitor, it looks to be original, does anybody know if these capacitors lose power over time?

bodrighywood:
I had this problem with an old pillar drill I had and it was a simple
matter of the bearings etc being full lof dust so kit had to pull a lot of power to get going. A good clean and it solved the problem. Could be the same? just needs a good clean inside.

Pete

808raver:
Hi Pete
I did take the motor apart (not fully) but all seemed very clean inside, while I was there I changed some wiring that looked past it (not inside the motor but from the capacitor to the motor) , perhaps I should have taken it fully apart but I know how hard it can be taking off the pulley wheel and seeing how the connections were in a enclosed housing everything looked as clean as the day it was made.

Paul Hannaby:
If this is the type of motor with a centrifugal switch, check that's conducting when closed. If you have a suitable multimeter, test the capacitor and if you don't, remove it to see if the motor runs the same with/without to confirm the capacitor is faulty.

Valkrider:
I had a similar issue with my bandsaw and it was the capacitor. My replacement was cheap enough and came from Amazon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version