General Category > General Discussion

USA tool prices

<< < (2/5) > >>

Bill21:
If you go to the website the tools are priced in pounds. If you select a tool the only addition seems to be post and packing at £7. Without completing the checkout process it’s impossible to tell but there is no mention of import duty or tax etc. I’m not interested in buying the tools as I make my own but if anyone is interested there is a contact tab to ask about VAT etc.

bodrighywood:
I have sold to the states without any problem before, not bought from them though.

Pete

Tim Pettigrew:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on May 13, 2021, 11:25:46 AM ---If you go to the website the tools are priced in pounds. If you select a tool the only addition seems to be post and packing at £7. Without completing the checkout process it’s impossible to tell but there is no mention of import duty or tax etc. I’m not interested in buying the tools as I make my own but if anyone is interested there is a contact tab to ask about VAT etc.

--- End quote ---
In my recent experience the items are held by the carrier until the import fees are paid.

Bill21:
It depends on the supplier. Since January 1st 2021 suppliers have been invited to register with HM customs and collect VAT at source for goods up to £135. This is what eBay are doing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

This concept is not actually new and some US suppliers have been offering to collect the VAT at source. This avoids having to pay the collection fee that couriers charge.

David Buskell:
[quote author=Bill21 link=topic=6798.msg56935#msg56935 date=1620900147]
There were two notable US turning tool companies products that were sold by the Toolpost before they closed. Carter & Son Toolworks (HSS) and Hunter tools (Carbide). Hunter tools now have a European distributor. https://www.huntertoolseurope.com/
[/quote

re the quote above from Bill:

I'll add a few comments on this in my role as the UK Director for Hunter Tool Systems (Europe) Ltd.  Our stock is manufactured in the USA and imported to our UK subsidiary - HTS(E) Ltd. We have to pay import duty and Import VAT @ 20% on all stock transferred from the USA to our UK warehouse.

I would suggest that other companies may have different charges to pay, depending on their trading relationship with their UK distribution partner.

Other manufacturers use different means to get their product to market, including that well-known major Online store. BTW, I visited the particular manufacturer's stand mentioned at the head of this thread at the AAW Symposium and I felt that the prices for the chucks were high, even in US$ and at show prices.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version