Author Topic: reverse gear  (Read 888 times)

Offline BrianH

• gold
reverse gear
« on: June 02, 2021, 01:48:21 PM »
I was interested to read on another thread someone stating that the main use for a reverse gear is sanding. This was exactly my thinking when I first got my current lathe and for a year or two thats all I ever used it for. As the result of a 'Lightbulb Moment' I wondered about turning the inside wall of a bowl or vessel with the lathe spinning backwards. This meant the gouge was cutting the far side of the project and supported by the rear of the rest, which allowed me to see exactly what the cutting edge was doing, even when working an undercut, while I was supporting and guiding the tool far more effectively.
 Like left handed turning it takes a bit of mental gymnastics to start with but soon becomes second nature. The one HUGE proviso is to make sure your chuck has a second fixing, normally a screw or screws that close and grip the spindle behind the thread. Without this the chuck most certainly will unscrew itself during a cut with 'Interesting' results.
Brian

Offline Buzzbee

• iron
Re: reverse gear
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 01:53:23 PM »
It has always puzzled me why more turners don't adopt this as common practice. Turning left handed and reversing the direction both offer numerous advantages and opportunities. There are none so blind as those who 'will not' see.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 02:33:47 PM »
In japan turners generally cut on the up stroke on the far side of the bowl using a hook tool.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 02:12:07 AM »
Running the motor in reverse has more practical applications on some lathes. One of mine has a RH thread on both ends of the spindle so when turning outboard, the motor runs in reverse.  ;D