Author Topic: Bowl Turning  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
Bowl Turning
« on: June 16, 2021, 03:08:30 AM »
I read something today which made me wonder what tools other turners use for bowl turning. I'd be very interested to know.

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
Re: Bowl Turning
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 08:13:48 AM »
Interesting question Mark. For most of my bowls I use a 3/8" or 1/2" traditional bowl gouge (Ashley Iles) and I've got one groound at a steep angle for deeper bowls. It the shape is heading towards a vase i.e much deeper,  I use a Woodcut Proforme, And I will admit to occasionallly using a curved scraper in shear mode for knarly grain. All rather traditional but that's how my father and other turners I admire, have done it, which works for me.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 10:02:40 AM »
Well Mark, that's a deceptively simple question but its certainly got me thinking. At first glance I would say I'm about as trad as Paul has already described, but then there are times, when the timber sprites aren't playing ball, when I will use anything.... up to and including the log burner. Does that help?
Brian

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 10:51:30 AM »
I am not all that keen on bowl gouges so predominantlyy use a hook tool and spindle gouges. (obviously not a roughing goiuge LOL) Small bols I also use a ring tool

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 10:53:58 AM »
Well Mark, that's a deceptively simple question but its certainly got me thinking. At first glance I would say I'm about as trad as Paul has already described, but then there are times, when the timber sprites aren't playing ball, when I will use anything.... up to and including the log burner. Does that help?
Brian
I kept it simple because what I read surprised me and I wondered if there was a technique I wasn't aware of. So the question is aimed at just bowl turning in it's simplest form rather than any unusual situations. So my answer would be:
Bowl Gouge
Shear Scraper
Mark

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 10:56:33 AM »
Interesting question Mark. For most of my bowls I use a 3/8" or 1/2" traditional bowl gouge (Ashley Iles) and I've got one groound at a steep angle for deeper bowls. It the shape is heading towards a vase i.e much deeper,  I use a Woodcut Proforme, And I will admit to occasionallly using a curved scraper in shear mode for knarly grain. All rather traditional but that's how my father and other turners I admire, have done it, which works for me.
Thank you. You're using exactly what I would have expected.
Mark

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 10:59:49 AM »
I am not all that keen on bowl gouges so predominantlyy use a hook tool and spindle gouges. (obviously not a roughing goiuge LOL) Small bols I also use a ring tool

Pete
Pete
Not an answer I was expecting  ;D So I suspect you generally don't use prepared bowl blanks?
Mark

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 12:00:29 PM »

Pete
Pete
Not an answer I was expecting  ;D So I suspect you generally don't use prepared bowl blanks?
Mark

Most of my bowls are made from either odd wood I get from tree surgeons or ones I cut from sycamore planks I have to buy to make for Mo's pyro and art work. I learned to turn proginally with skews and scrapers (bowl gouges were a new fad in the 60's LOL) and then did a lot lof spindle work so didn't bother with bowl gouges much. I do use them on really big or off centre pieces as they are much stronger but not often on bowls less than about 12"

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 02:37:58 PM »
I made my own version of this:

https://www.huntertoolseurope.com/products/number-3-hunter-hercules-no-handle

And it works great on synthetics, and very easy to use. Actually I should try it on plain wood and see how if fares.  ;D

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 03:20:02 PM »
Bill21,

I can answer that as I have a #3 Hercules. It's a great tool and will work well on end grain plus is equally good on side grain . You can also use the bevel edge, for example for bowls. Cutter just needs a slight twist and you have a new edge.

Like all Hunter Tools, it cuts not scrapes.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 03:23:55 PM »
Brian
I kept it simple because what I read surprised me and I wondered if there was a technique I wasn't aware of. So the question is aimed at just bowl turning in it's simplest form rather than any unusual situations. So my answer would be:
Bowl Gouge
Shear Scraper
Mark

I know what the first 2 are ( Bowl Gouge / Scraper ) But I have never heard of a Mark tool

Google is my friend I will have a look and see what I can find

;D

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 04:02:44 PM »

I know what the first 2 are ( Bowl Gouge / Scraper ) But I have never heard of a Mark tool

Google is my friend I will have a look and see what I can find

;D
Take a class with me and I'll show you  ;D

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2021, 12:08:31 PM »
Bowl gouges of various sizes and grinds are my main go to tools with the occasional use of a scraper.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 10:19:44 AM »
Bowl gouges of various sizes and grinds are my main go to tools with the occasional use of a scraper.
Exactly the tools I would expect to be used.

It's interesting that no-one has mentioned the tool that caused me to ask the question.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 10:39:49 AM »
Were you thinking of this?

https://youtu.be/hKdqiAc0jx4