Author Topic: Bowl Turning  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
Re: Bowl Turning
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 11:00:50 AM »
Were you thinking of this?

https://youtu.be/hKdqiAc0jx4
No.  ;D  I've been familiar with that way of bowl turning since my training days back in the late 80's. I vaguely remember seeing a film of Dale Stubbs working in a similar fashion. I think Mark Lindquist also works that way sometimes.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 11:28:53 AM »
I initially learned to use scrapers for pretty much anything in school ** years ago before they allowed us to use spindle gouges. Only other tool I can think of is a hollowing tool of some sort which I tried before going on to use a hook.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Redwill

• iron
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2021, 07:32:07 PM »
Just seen this thread,   For me as I do not have a bowl core set up  I will use combination of Bowl gouge /s   - Shielded tip Hollowing tool depending on the wood,  -  Scrapers   - A wide Skew for fine scraping work on the outside   plus often resorting to coarse grit Sandpaper more than should be required.   If not happy after that like others the woodburner awaits.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2021, 07:44:31 AM »
Well no-one so far has referred to the tool that caused me to pose the question. ;D And that tool was the Parting Tool.

It'll be interesting to hear your comments on it's use in bowl turning

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2021, 09:40:05 AM »
Mark

I use a parting tool and a point tool to cut the dovetail for the chuck when turning bowls but that is all I use them for when turning a bowl.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2021, 10:23:09 AM »
I use a custom ground little skew to  turn the tenon or mortice for mounting. Can't say I have used a parting tool on a bowl except to make decorative grooves for filling. I know some have used it to core a bowl, not tried that though.

Pete

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2021, 12:49:59 AM »
Having noted the above comments from Pete and Colin would anyone consider the Parting Tool an "essential tool for bowl turning"? That was the phrase that caught my eye and why I started this discussion.
I'd be interested in any viewpoints.

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2021, 06:21:12 AM »
No Mark, i would never think of it as an essential tool for bowl turning.

Non-essential uses.
Think I've seen it used to quickly rough hollow out the middle of bowls, (but more often a stouter Beading and parting tool or Bedan was used).  Could see me using a Beading and parting tool if I used scrapers and not gouges to turn a bowl, but again have never used this method either.

To part cff a small bowl, where it wouldn't involve too much of an overhang over the tool rest

I think quite a few turners might use a gouge to cut into the side grain then a skew to profile chucking points rather than a parting tool, again for reasons of too much overhang over the tool rest.

Otherwise, perhaps decorative as Pete suggested.

Each to their own as they say, but never could a parting tool be described as an "essential" bowl turning tool ... surely?

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2021, 04:15:41 PM »
Can't say I would consider it as a bowl turning tool.

Not being a particularly fast turner anyway, surely it would take an age, unless I'm missing a fast technique?

I have seen a parting tool used for coring, but I wonder how strong they are to take the constant strain of bowl turning, and have not been totally convinced about the safety of using it for coring.

John

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2021, 07:34:54 PM »
I wouldn't say a parting tool played any part in bowl turning. I don't use parting tools or scrapers (apart from once in a blue moon!) for bowl turning apart from perhaps a shear scraper on the outside but more often that not, I use a gouge for that too.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2021, 08:48:17 AM »
I don't see the parting tool as an essential tool, but does get used occasionally in bowl turning. In the absence of a coring tool I have used the parting tool with care to core out especially if it is a very nice piece of wood.
Still not a tool that I would have thought as in my first answer when I stated what were my go to tools

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2021, 11:11:57 AM »
Im a firm believer in the old adage that the tool in my hand is, hopefully, just right for the next operation but I am perplexed at the thought of using a parting tool on a bowl. Why!!!
I have tried coring with a particularly long and strong version (made from a 3/4" oval skew) a couple of times but didnt enjoy the experience so gave up on it.
Further thought reminds me that I have used one to remove a ring of usable timber from beneath a wide rim. I may have been working towards a bowl but could hardly describe it as bowl turning.
BUT! having said all that, I wont say any one else is wrong to use one. Only He/She can make that decision, based on their own personal skills, experience and intentions.
Brian

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2021, 12:06:59 PM »
Main problem with using a parting tool is the same as using s roughing gouge. It has a tang and  so is not suitable for any work where there is a big overhang. Dangerous. As I said I have used one for adding grooves to the outside of a bowl but apart from that I can't see a practical, safe use for it in bowl turning.

Pete

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2021, 07:57:05 PM »
The only use I have come across, for newcomers to woodturning, is to cut a shallow slot to define the thickness of the bowl. This slot is used to support the bevel of the bowl gouge and prevent it skipping across the rim and messing it up. I have shown this to my students if they are struggling to get the tool entry correct but, once their skill and confidence grows they don't bother to do this. So a use of the parting tool but certainly not essential.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2021, 01:10:36 AM »
Thank you to all for taking the time to comment.

My feeling on the use of a parting tool in bowl turning (bowl turning is not a phrase I ever use preferring cross grain turning) has been summed up by Pete. The parting tool has a reduced tang and is simply not designed for dealing with cross grain timber. That was illustrated very well last year at the height of the covid pandemic. I lost count of the number of broken parting tools that were posted on various forums; all of them broke whilst being used on cross grain timber when parting off a spigot.

A few have referred to using a parting tool for coring. I personally would advise against that for exactly the same reason as above, the reduced tang. There are tools available that look somewhat similar but are constructed with added strength to the tang for just that purpose e.g. the Slicer from Robert Sorby which was originally designed by Dave Stewart. I prefer these to the pivoting coring systems as they are more versatile, dealing with any size bowl.

The use as a tool for creating spigots and recesses always brings a smile as it reminds me of the dovetail scraper which I believe is still available.  :)

Thanks again for the comments. I know now I haven't missed something in the use of a parting tool.  ;D

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 01:12:14 AM by Mark Hancock »