Author Topic: Wood Stain?  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Wood Stain?
« on: June 27, 2021, 02:06:10 PM »
I turned some Sycamore a while back and wanted a translucent colour stain finished with Lacquer. The staining though turned out very patchy and didn’t look good. I used Chestnut spirit stain. Is Sycamore just a poor choice for staining or should I have used a water based stain? Any suggestions on an alternative pale wood that stains well would be much appreciated. TIA.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Wood Stain?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 03:00:12 PM »
Hi Bill
Best option is to ask Terry at Chestnut , Send a email
Did you use a sealer before the paint ?

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 03:02:07 PM »
I put a clear Lacquer on top of the stain.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 06:44:02 PM »
I put a clear Lacquer on top of the stain.

That may be where you went wrong , I think you need a sealer before you use the stain , This will stop the efect you have , Where the grain is more open it will soak in and where the grain is closer less so , Putting a sealer on the wood first acts as a foundation , The paint should then be able to be successfully applied

As said send Tery a email for conferment

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 07:39:14 PM »

That may be where you went wrong , I think you need a sealer before you use the stain.

Not according to the Chestnut compatibility chart, I did it the correct way. Stain first then Lacquer.

https://chestnutproducts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Chestnut-Products-Compatibility-Chart-Coloured.pdf

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 10:47:45 PM »
Put a sealer on first and you effectively stop the stain soaking in and doing its job. Stain needs to go directly onto the wood ad it will react differently on different woods and different parts of the wood. If there is end grain it will soak further into the wood for example. Sycamore has little obvious difference but you will find that the stain will show up any differences in the wood dramatically. Using stain on wood is always going to be a hit and miss method of colouring.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 09:36:01 AM »
I think everyone has different a idea of what constitutes 'Good' staining. None of those ideas is either right or wrong. Look out, here comes my 2pennorth for what its worth.
If, as Bill seems to describe, you are looking for a single all-over colour then paint is probably your best bet and translucency is, I'm afraid, off the menu. I really hope someone tells me this is wrong because I love collecting new ideas and techniques!
 If, on the other hand, you are just seeking a colourful addition to your turning then my suggestion is to use more than one colour, mixed, matched and applied in a variety of ways [don't let the different colours dry out between applications if you don't want 'demarcation' lines between them]. Mix colours by all means but overdoing always seems to result in a muddy colour... no idea why.
In conclusion then I believe you need a plainish timber, a collection of colours and..... far more importantly..... an open mind as to exactly what result you will land up with.
Hope that helps
Brian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 10:27:51 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts folks. You have echoed my own suspicions regarding grain etc. I have seen some well executed examples of the effect I’m after so I know it’s possible with the right combination of wood and stain. I see some experimentation going forward. I will also be buying some water based stain to try.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 11:19:54 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts folks. You have echoed my own suspicions regarding grain etc. I have seen some well executed examples of the effect I’m after so I know it’s possible with the right combination of wood and stain. I see some experimentation going forward. I will also be buying some water based stain to try.

Personal preference but I like water based as it gives longer to work with, I am too slow for fast evaporating spirits! BUT they do behave differently on different pieces of wood if you cut your own blanks keep a few offcuts for experimenting with the colour before using it on your actual work piece.

It is against the rules to apply sanding sealer before stain, but sometimes with some woods the rules need breaking!
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 12:13:29 PM »
Blimey, in my last post I asked for someone to suggest a way of achieving a translucent finish with paint and here I am about to answer my own request. Now that's what I call a quick service!
About 3/4 of a yonk ago I remember experimenting with a hint of colour 'Wash' type of finish. I tried mixing Chestnut stain with meths and artists acrylic paint with water. Can't for the life of me remember the outcome but I couldn't have been that taken with results because I obviously didn't stick with the plan.
Brian

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 12:54:49 PM »
Mo use calligraphy inks for a translucent look and blends the colours in situ to build up colours. Might be expensive if you intend to do say a whole bowl though

Pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 12:57:56 PM »
I apply spirit stain in various ways depending on what I want for a more solid colour I tend to apply with a brush, I have also dabbed it on with a paper towel and lastly for a more controlled application I use an airbrush.
It will need some experiment to get the finish that you are after

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 01:25:45 PM »
Anyone tried using fabric dyes? I’m going to test one anyway but I ask because the water based wood stain samples I've seen online don’t look that strong.

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 01:35:15 PM »
Anyone tried using fabric dyes? I’m going to test one anyway but I ask because the water based wood stain samples I've seen online don’t look that strong.

I tried some years ago it was Dylon brown on a piece of very pale Walnut. It darkened it down nicely and left the grain showing. However, I haven't used it since now using spirit stains.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 02:03:47 PM »
I use fabric dyes. There is a range called Dirty Down and they have different aging sprays for the make up business.

Pete