General Category > General Discussion

Wood Stain?

(1/5) > >>

Bill21:
I turned some Sycamore a while back and wanted a translucent colour stain finished with Lacquer. The staining though turned out very patchy and didn’t look good. I used Chestnut spirit stain. Is Sycamore just a poor choice for staining or should I have used a water based stain? Any suggestions on an alternative pale wood that stains well would be much appreciated. TIA.

Wood spinner:
Hi Bill
Best option is to ask Terry at Chestnut , Send a email
Did you use a sealer before the paint ?

Bill21:
I put a clear Lacquer on top of the stain.

Wood spinner:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on June 27, 2021, 03:02:07 PM ---I put a clear Lacquer on top of the stain.

--- End quote ---

That may be where you went wrong , I think you need a sealer before you use the stain , This will stop the efect you have , Where the grain is more open it will soak in and where the grain is closer less so , Putting a sealer on the wood first acts as a foundation , The paint should then be able to be successfully applied

As said send Tery a email for conferment

Bill21:

--- Quote from: Wood spinner on June 27, 2021, 06:44:02 PM ---

That may be where you went wrong , I think you need a sealer before you use the stain.

--- End quote ---

Not according to the Chestnut compatibility chart, I did it the correct way. Stain first then Lacquer.

https://chestnutproducts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Chestnut-Products-Compatibility-Chart-Coloured.pdf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version