General Category > General Discussion

Wood Stain?

<< < (3/5) > >>

bodrighywood:
Mo use calligraphy inks for a translucent look and blends the colours in situ to build up colours. Might be expensive if you intend to do say a whole bowl though

Pete

Derek:
I apply spirit stain in various ways depending on what I want for a more solid colour I tend to apply with a brush, I have also dabbed it on with a paper towel and lastly for a more controlled application I use an airbrush.
It will need some experiment to get the finish that you are after

Bill21:
Anyone tried using fabric dyes? I’m going to test one anyway but I ask because the water based wood stain samples I've seen online don’t look that strong.

Valkrider:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on June 28, 2021, 01:25:45 PM ---Anyone tried using fabric dyes? I’m going to test one anyway but I ask because the water based wood stain samples I've seen online don’t look that strong.

--- End quote ---

I tried some years ago it was Dylon brown on a piece of very pale Walnut. It darkened it down nicely and left the grain showing. However, I haven't used it since now using spirit stains.

bodrighywood:
I use fabric dyes. There is a range called Dirty Down and they have different aging sprays for the make up business.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version