General Category > General Discussion

Does it exist?

<< < (2/4) > >>

bodrighywood:
Have to agree with John. I am afirm belieb[-ver in ;learning to turn with the basics before spending more money than ylou need. A good lathe is perhaps better tham one that is permanently giving trouble but the best on the market are expemsive unless you go for a good old 2nd hand British and to do that you will need to know what you are buying. Like many on here I learned to turn wit literally two tools and no chuck, no variable speed etc. No need for that extreme perhaps but start simple and work your way up. First expense, some decent tuition

Pete

Twisted Trees:
Just chuck in that different teachers often have different lathes so with some care and planning you will get to try out different kit before deciding on your target lathe. Only took me 10 years to move from my second hand starter lathe to my "pretty good for now" lathe.

BUT you should tell us what lathe you are currently using when asking as there are some cheaper starter lathes that just make turning hard work...

Wood spinner:
I was reading you 1st post , All good until " I want all this at a budget price " Err humm

Sounds like you allready have a lathe at a cheap price

My advice as allways is this , Buy the best you can afford that has everything you want , This way you only buy once

Make sure all elements of woodturning are your thing , Wearing a good face shield , GOOD dust mask as you can't buy new eyes and lungs , Are you a creative person ? can you come up with designing the element you want in said bowl / Platter / Wall hanging / vase etc , Are you able to further enhance the timber by way of carving , colouring , Doing resin work

You have lots to think about before parting with your money

What part of the UK are you in ? a Town is close enough as you may live near a Club or individual who would be willing to help if needed

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Neil one other point, (and I realise  the comment you made about wishing to change speed just by turning a knob was tongue in cheek) but just be aware that all the gadgets and gizmos that are fitted to the modern day lathe can go wrong and be costly to repair. Changing speed by moving belts across a pulley can be a pain in the proverbial but they last longer than some of the other systems out there.
Now a note to any manufacturers that me be lurking on these pages,WE DO NOT NEED GADGETS AND GIZMOS, WE NEED GOOD SOLID RELIABLE TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT THAT ARE SIMPLE TO USE AND ARE A PLEASURE TO HANDLE.not too much to ask is it?

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: The Bowler Hatted Turner on July 26, 2021, 09:18:23 AM ---.
Now a note to any manufacturers that me be lurking on these pages,WE DO NOT NEED GADGETS AND GIZMOS, WE NEED GOOD SOLID RELIABLE TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT THAT ARE SIMPLE TO USE AND ARE A PLEASURE TO HANDLE.not too much to ask is it?

--- End quote ---

Hear hear, I find it sad that so many seem to think that buying a fancy gadget is going to make them a better turner. Perhaps it is the quick fox attitude we have nowadays that people want to be an expert and proficient turner now without learning the basic skills with the basic tools. Ok better put my soap box away LOL

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version