General Category > General Discussion

Bench grinders

<< < (2/4) > >>

BrianH:
i agree with Bill about overheating tools and not quenching HSS but still use a slow speed grinder with wide wheels.
Brian

Twisted Trees:
If buying a grinder then go slow speed, it makes sense. But the difference is massive, 300° is hot enough to damage Carbon Steel, it takes 2200° to do the same to HSS, so possible but unlikely.

Whatever you buy be sure that it can be upgraded to CBN down the line, it makes sense

bodrighywood:
Problem is slow griders are a lot more expensive than standard bench grinders generally. I got hold of an old tormek which is supposedly the bees knees but still use my basic bench grider much of the time. Like so many things there re a lot of myths and legends around sharpening but basic practice os far more important IMHO than spending a fortune on the various types that abound.

Pete

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: bodrighywood on August 04, 2021, 10:50:20 PM ---Problem is slow griders are a lot more expensive than standard bench grinders generally. I got hold of an old tormek which is supposedly the bees knees but still use my basic bench grider much of the time. Like so many things there re a lot of myths and legends around sharpening but basic practice os far more important IMHO than spending a fortune on the various types that abound.

Pete

--- End quote ---

I had the Tormek T7, needed my record power 8" normal speed grinder as a back up (which replaced my 6" "own brand" cheap system I used for the first few years) . Have sold both now and moved sideways to the ProEdge not so sharp, and not so good for general everything sharpening, but always ready to use and does a good job on woodturning tools

Bill21:
I sharpen my wood turning tools on a Belt & Disc sander and find it quick and easy and I much prefer the flat grind. Except of course the extra large bowl scraper I bought, that’s still a chore to sharpen!  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version