General Category > General Discussion

Fingernail grind

<< < (2/3) > >>

Woodcrafts:
You might find the following useful as Stuart explains why various grinds work, when to use them and how to create them. It IS a lengthy video so you may want to skip some parts, but it is very informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7BjRcSDurM
Hope it helps,

Bill21:
I’m not a prolific bowl turner but I read some time ago that it is worth having several bowl gouges with different grinds, the original grind being particularly useful for the bottom of bowls.

Derek:

--- Quote from: bodrighywood on August 08, 2021, 10:13:01 PM ---To be honest the angle is not really that important as long as it works for you. I haven't a clue what angle my tools are ground to, they work so they are. Sure some like to have specific angles but there are no golden rules as with so many things in craft works. As long as it is safe it is OK.

Pete

--- End quote ---

I am with Pete I have mine ground to what works for me never thought about the precise angle I use

Bill21:
The only time many people bother to check the angle is when a pro turner helpfully provides this information about the grinds they use on their tools. Just because the “unknown” angle a turner uses works for them doesn’t mean they aren’t missing out on something. I couldn’t tell you the present angle on my gouges but I do reference them against accepted angles from time to time. As an example, my spindle gouge worked absolutely fine with “my” standard grind but worked so much better when I replicated the grind used by Cindy Drozda.

Keep an open mind and don’t get set in your ways.

bodrighywood:
I agree with you Bill though the open mind includes those who think that what the 'experts' use is right.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version