Author Topic: Clubs restarting #2  (Read 2531 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Clubs restarting #2
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »
Stone the crows, what the rook are you raven about birds for, Bill????????

Didn’t you see Michael’s post I quoted?! I highlighted his comment about Corvids in Blue!    ;D
Methinks Bill is a bit of a twitcher?

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2021, 02:35:24 PM »
Strongly looking like a September restart at my club. What about the rest of you?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2021, 03:20:43 PM »
1st one back this Thursday at the Kennet & Avon Club.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2021, 06:37:24 PM »
You can always connect the laptop to a smartphone hotspot for the duration of the demo, hopefully one of your members will have a suitable data package. Providing you have mobile phone 4G coverage at your club location the Zoom call will work fine. Alternatively if the club can afford it look at a MIFi box and sim specifically for this purpose.

I did think of the mobile aspect, hopefully someone on the committee has a contract. I’m on PAYG as I’m sure quite a few are. I’ll look into the mobile router idea though, thanks.  ;)
As a demonstrator, the problem of remote demonstrations is not just what facilities are available at the club venue, the demonstrator also need appropriate facilities i.e. cameras to capture the demonstration, which probably means three of them - one showing the demonstrator, one close up on the front of the workpiece and one on the end of the workpiece. It would also be more 'professional' if there was a camera person, to move/focus the camera on the task being undertaken. This will all require good lighting. Add a good microphone and speakers for communication and it is not a trivial setup. The demonstrator will also need a screen to 'view' his audience.
For myself, I cannot get interneter access in my workshop. No landline and as I am in a steel fabricated workshop, mobiles do NOT get a signal.
Remote demos are a nice idea but they are a lot more complex to setup than many seem to think.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2021, 02:18:22 PM »
Herts & Beds Woodturners had their first face to face meeting in our usual Hemel Hempstead venue last night (10th August) with a superb demo by Les Thorne.  We had about 50-60 members, tea/coffee break with disposable cups and wrapped biscuits.  The sales table made £95 and the raffle was very well supported.  Those attending more than double the number we had on our Zoom meetings. We are all set now for our next meeting in September.  Normality seems to be returning, touch wood (excuse the pun!)

Tim