General Category > General Discussion

Suitable woods for a Fruit Bowl

(1/3) > >>

Sandy:
Advice please.

I've been asked to make a bowl the lady would keep fruit in, approx 10" dia, in Oak.  Is that a suitable timber for a bowl containing fruit I wonder?

All advice, comments on alternative timbers etc very welcome.

Thanks

bodrighywood:
Not sure any woods aren't suitable for a fruit bowk TBH. Even the potentially toxic ones such as yew and laburnum are fine in this case. Which other woods you can use are basically a matter of choice and what you have.I wouldn't pwrsonally use exotics mainly because of the cost and with some the environmental issue but that's me.

Pete

michaelb:
If that what the customer wants it in, then fine. Its an old addage the customer is always right if they are paying, you can advise eg whist oak might be fine but the wood even when finished goes darker ober time.

Bill21:
I agree. Provided they don’t eat the bowl after the fruit it should be ok …  ;D

Twisted Trees:
Big difference in "wet food" / "dry food" is dry food bowls get dusted and polished, wet food bowls get washed up! most of the finishes we use are not good in soapy water. Also as Pete says I personally would even use Yew as a fruit / nut bowl though of course would never recommend it to customers, just in case they eat the bowl ;D

Also there are at least 600 different Oak's out there older traditional English Oak is better avoided unless you enjoy sharpening, did 50 for a wedding recently sure I lost ¼" of bowl gouge!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version