General Category > General Discussion

Suitable woods for a Fruit Bowl

<< < (3/3)

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: Wood spinner on September 03, 2021, 10:53:12 AM ---I advise my customers to cut out a piece of clear plastic or cling film and line the inside of the bowl ,
 Acid  from fruit can affect the wood and make it turn black , The more ripe the fruit is the more troublesome it becoms

--- End quote ---

Good point. Doesn't last long enough in our house to be a problem but can see that it could be.

Pete

burywoodturners:
I use a bit of kitchen roll, the bowl is over 25 years ols and not stained yet, but the I eat more fruit than a fruit bat
Ron

BrianH:
When my Mum passed away the fruit bowl I made at school came back into my possession. It has 50 odd years of staining....Patina is the fancy word!... and has every Newby mistake ever made but hey-ho it was the first step towards a lifelong obsession and I love it.
Brian

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: BrianH on September 10, 2021, 10:46:51 AM ---When my Mum passed away the fruit bowl I made at school came back into my possession. It has 50 odd years of staining....Patina is the fancy word!... and has every Newby mistake ever made but hey-ho it was the first step towards a lifelong obsession and I love it.
Brian

--- End quote ---

Wish I had at least one of the pieces I made in the 6o's. Suspect some of them would be as good if not better than the ones I make now LOL.

Pete

BrianH:
Where, it seems, you went wrong, Pete, is forgetting to make a schoolboy piece for my Mum. I'm sure she would have treasured it, and added the required patina for you.
Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version