General Category > General Discussion

Resin

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bill21:

--- Quote from: bodrighywood on October 12, 2021, 10:32:31 AM --- When I have students I start them on spindle work not bowls. Spindle worlk will give you a huge choice of things to make and as for free wood try old furniture, tree surgeons, gardeners, buy wood in plank form not blanks to save money.

Pete

--- End quote ---

I agree. Spindle work with the grain all running in one direction is in my opinion also somewhat safer for student turners. The first tools I recommend are a spindle roughing gouge and 3/8” spindle gouge. 

Philip Green:

--- Quote ---When I have students I start them on spindle work not bowls. Spindle worlk will give you a huge choice of things to make and as for free wood try old furniture, tree surgeons, gardeners, buy wood in plank form not blanks to save money.
--- End quote ---

To me, spindle work is an essential start to learning woodturning. The skills learned presenting turning tools safely and effectively are transferrable to faceplate turning.

I joined two clubs when I started turning. One of them did weekly training sessions and had 6 sample practice pieces to copy. The first was a simple piece with coves, beads, ogees and other shapes. A candle stick, goblet, posie vase and bowl followed - can't remember the other one. After a few years, I helped the other club give taster sessions to youngsters, turning a spindle project in the morning and a bowl project in the afternoon.

Everyone I know believes that learning spindle work first is the best way to go.

Niall:
Once again cheers for the replies & advice. Now, I hope I don't sound too stupid  but the advice is pointing to spindle work. Am I right in thinking that spindles are like the downward pieces on a staircase banister and if so is there a way of finding out pieces to copy to practice. Also, I have bought a set of Robert sorby turning chisels but they are still brand new on the hanging rack I bought them with as I have been using some carbide tipped chisels ( 2 x Square, 1 x round & 2 x diamond shaped). I did get some chisels like bowl gouge & roughing gouge when I bought my first lathe ( which ii bought 2nd hand & is a Clarke 40' lathe), but I then got myself a charnwood lathe (W824) which I find much better with the variable speed dial. I bought a record 8' bench grinder but when I tried to sharpen the older chisels the tips looked terrible so I didn't want to mess up the new ones, do I need to buy a jig. When I look on you tube & see someone sharpening chisels they have a wheel that looks like flat metal but my grinder has a rough wheel that sparks, is this the correct thing to use.

Twisted Trees:
Oh Niall you have a journey in front of you  :)

Spindle work is anything that has the grain of the wood aligned along the bed of the lathe, that would indeed contain stair case spindles, also table legs chair legs actually most legs... candle sticks, goblets, rolling pins, and anything else that fits on the lathe in that direction.

Face plate work is where the grain crosses the bed typically bowl, platters, clocks,

Then there is between centres and chuck mount.

Then carbide v traditional... as it happens i have a borrowed set of carbides this week, not impressed at all! BUT I am a novice with the tools and they are not great carbides so the jury is still out but I am using traditional and happy.

Sharpening, that is another that will get you 27 answers from any group of 10 turners.

Do you have a club near you? you are going to need a guide or 3!

John D Smith:
 Hi Niall,
            I think one of the best pieces of advice I can give you if get yourself a copy of the book by Keith Rowley title
 "WOODTURNING a foundation Course" you will not regret it you can find copies on ebay or Amazon it covers quite a lot of info for
starters I am sure some of the previous members who have given you advice will agree Best of Luck.

Regards John

I have just looked on the internet there are quite a lot for sale cheap as chips                                       

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version