Author Topic: Have you seen this ?  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Have you seen this ?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 10:35:21 AM »
Thanks for posting this. I became aware of the issue after watching a YouTube video but couldn’t find any UK specific advice. I will spread the word.

To be honest I was quite concerned when I first saw one of these in a tool catalogue. A brief picture of someone that had a serious accident with one of these discs was quite shocking.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 11:22:22 AM »
Saw these at a number of shows a decade or so back, didn't really need a government warning to tell me they were a terrible idea!
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 04:44:27 AM »
Don't you people ever look at the AWGB website? This was posted on there last July!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 10:50:42 AM »
Had one of thee as part of a kit I bought years ago. Probably rusty now as never used. A proper sized chainsaw is bad enough this thing is a quick way to get an amputatiion thoiugh no doubt someone somewhere will say they have used it for years with no problem.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 05:54:11 PM »
Stumpy is a woodworker I respect the skill level and opinion of he nearly lost his fingers to one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7xWHEWov8M (not too graphic)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 02:53:38 AM »
I noticed in recent months, there seemed to be quite a few video adverts for these on social media showing people using these with no guards, no side handle on the angle grinder etc. so it's probably a good thing there has been a clamp down on these.

It makes you think how many of the other rotary cutters for such tools are also potentially dangerous - they probably all are in the wrong hands...

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 11:09:09 AM »

It makes you think how many of the other rotary cutters for such tools are also potentially dangerous - they probably all are in the wrong hands...

Yes it’s not just the King Arthur’s Tools that look dangerous to me but also some of the Arbortech ones as well.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 11:27:43 AM »
Basically tnhey are all some form of angle grinder and they are  not onr of the safest tools at the best of times.Always amazes me how ypou vcan't buy guns or knives easily (I don't disagree with this) but can happily buy tools that are as if not more dangerous in the right hands.

Pete

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 02:19:07 PM »
This sounds like a slippery slope towards banning hammers, saws, knives and hair bands in case someone misuses them and hurts themselves. Educating must surely be better than Nanny sitting as judge and jury on what people can and can't use when it is only theirselves that are in perceived danger.
Brian

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 02:21:40 PM »
This sounds like a slippery slope towards banning hammers, saws, knives and hair bands in case someone misuses them and hurts themselves. Educating must surely be better than Nanny sitting as judge and jury on what people can and can't use when it is only theirselves that are in perceived danger.
Brian

I think that a hammer is perhaps not in quite the same league as a chain saw or an angle grinder with saw attachment.  Education ois all well and good but where and when do people get it nowadays? 

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 02:42:42 PM »

I think that a hammer is perhaps not in quite the same league as a chain saw or an angle grinder with saw attachment.  Education ois all well and good but where and when do people get it nowadays?

A hammer is free ranging can be used as a weapon beyond the range of the power cord! I am with Brian sometimes you just have to use common sense to stay safe, no need to ban things.

Without appeals to MP's a couple of years ago mail order of turning tools could have been banned, in an attempt to ban the sale of knives without proof of age. Slippery slope is legislation!

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 12:43:40 PM »
Comparing a hammer with an angle grinder fitted with a chainsaw disc in terms of safety is quite ridiculous and proves the need for the ban.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 07:05:40 PM »
Perhaps there should be a test to prove that some one has had correct training and is safe to use certain machines........oh silly me, it already existed and was called an apprenticeship.

Offline Lennie

• iron
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2022, 08:14:36 AM »
 Ok, I'll be the first one to say it.
I have used the chainsaw attachment for a couple of years now to embellish my turnings, without the slightest problem. I'ts no more dangerous in my opinion than a normal grinder cutting disc which I used at work as a maintenance fitter.
I would'nt try to cut a tree down with it, but the one I have is well made and a good fit, including guards.
The problem with a lot of power tool accidents is mis use by the owner.
This is my opinion only.