General Category > General Discussion

Wipe on Poly

(1/3) > >>

Bill21:
Seems to be a thing across the pond. According to some they make their own by mixing oil based Clear Polyurethane 50/50 with white spirit. Any tried this?

Twisted Trees:
My recipe is spirit based varnish (not water! is hard to find these days) mixed 50 50 with boiled linseed oil, sometimes some extra white spirit to get the consistency right. Not made any in a long time though, and even then getting spirit based varnish was a challenge.

Bill21:
This one is solvent based.

https://www.toolstation.com/polyurethane-varnish/p19798

Paul Hannaby:
In all the years I have been turning, I have never used polyurethane varnish on anything, probably because I have never found the need. Danish oil or lacquer are as close as I get to varnish.

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: Paul Hannaby on January 15, 2022, 01:51:30 PM ---In all the years I have been turning, I have never used polyurethane varnish on anything, probably because I have never found the need. Danish oil or lacquer are as close as I get to varnish.

--- End quote ---

I use it on flat work, not turning which is one reason I haven't used it in a long time. our American cousins seem to use it a lot though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version