Author Topic: Wood & Glass  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Wood & Glass
« on: July 04, 2012, 08:07:43 PM »
I made this sometime ago but it's never been posted.

The daughter of another guy in my office does something called 'Slump Glass'. I made something for her and in return asked if she would pour me a grid of leftovers for a platter.

So a simple beech plaque and the glass stuck to it with builders silicon.

About 10" (200mm) dia polished with beeswax.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Wood & Glass
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 08:57:57 PM »
Hi dr4Onfly,
 well you have been a busy boy. The new lathe obviously works OK.
I really like your GF style platter Solar eclipse. don't alter it .It's really good.
Not to sure about the one with glass on it, I like the concept but not sure if this one works for me.
Keep up the good work
Regards
John BHT

Frans Brown

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 05:25:42 PM »
This has a lot of possibilities for incorporation into your work. The Glass itself reminds me of Japanese writing, so maybe some Asian style pieces to go with it? One to look out for, I'd like to see where you go with this.

Frans

woody

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 06:23:50 PM »
Love the platter but not keen on the glass but hey that's only my opinion although I dare say plenty of people will love it

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 11:03:50 PM »
Frans, I also saw the possibility of getting Asian characters made in glass.

John, Woody. I agree the Brown Glass is hardly inspiring, but it was a. A freebie and b. and Experiment. So on both those counts I'm happy with the outcome.

Unfortunately I've been unable to get the young lady to do me a second piece as she's busy 'exploring her own paths' for the last few months, but I'm hopeful for the future.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 12:36:06 AM »

You never know, if you never try ..  there is something in this piece, if chance comes another colour/design, the young lady may if shown what you've done, if not already may add to the idea, as this piece is, if as looking for some time as I've done and this is just me I've seen it as Bats in flight or Shadowy Birds given it stands off the plate, blame it on Alfred Hitchcock ...   ;D ...

Don't dismiss this piece your on to something.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 01:58:58 PM »
I can see where Frans is coming from with an oriental feel to it,
I quite like it viewed from afar,no joke intended, when you first see the picture  it looks lovely and it's only when I enlarge the image that
I get a bit iffy. I wonder if it is the shadow caused by the stand off? But then here's me saying this and until recently I used to be a round and brown only turner :)
Regards
John BHT