General Category > General Discussion

Club Meetings

<< < (3/3)

Richard Peers:
As a committee member of my club for many years, I know there is a balance to be struck at meetings with professional demonstrators - the club has paid a lot of money to get them there, so they want to make the most of their time. This is often at the expense of social interaction between members. Fascinatingly, this problem has been solved by of all things, the pandemic: we were forced to hold on-line meetings, and have kept these going as weekly events in between the face-to-face monthly meetings. This has allowed for hours of social interaction, while still giving plenty of time for the paid demonstrators to do their stuff.

TT, perhaps you could recommend this option to the committee of your club?

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
From the other side of the coin the paid for demonstrators all wish to give value for money. I do remember demonstrating at a club once (or starting to demonstrate) when a member of the audience asked a question,the answer then led to another question and a short demo of what the question was about (i forget now) but this went on all night and i never got to do the demo I had prepared for. Once time was up I started to pack up and many members of that club came up and said it was one of the best nights ever! So different clubs and different people want different things from their club.
 We had our club meeting last night and once the notices were done with there was a buzz about the place. We had two lathes in operation, one showing skew chisel use and the other thread chasing. We also had a small group learning how to set up the cameras and projectors and a table with members showing some very impressive jigs and fixtures. Club night is what you make it.

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: The Bowler Hatted Turner on March 11, 2022, 06:33:43 PM ---From the other side of the coin the paid for demonstrators all wish to give value for money. I do remember demonstrating at a club once (or starting to demonstrate) when a member of the audience asked a question,the answer then led to another question and a short demo of what the question was about (i forget now) but this went on all night and i never got to do the demo I had prepared for. Once time was up I started to pack up and many members of that club came up and said it was one of the best nights ever! So different clubs and different people want different things from their club.
 We had our club meeting last night and once the notices were done with there was a buzz about the place. We had two lathes in operation, one showing skew chisel use and the other thread chasing. We also had a small group learning how to set up the cameras and projectors and a table with members showing some very impressive jigs and fixtures. Club night is what you make it.

--- End quote ---
Had one or two like this and personally find them much more fn all round. Worst are where you do your best to demo to a cast of men falling asleep or glaring at you for a couple of hours LOL.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version