General Category > General Discussion

what is so special about certain chucks?

<< < (3/3)

Bill21:
My current workshop is pretty good at keeping rust inducing humidity quite low. In spite of this though I noticed one of my engineering chucks and a spin indexer stored in a cupboard had some surface rust on them the other day. My previous two garage workshops were not so kind to my tools so a stainless steel chuck is not such an insignificant feature as you suggest. Some chucks are plain steel and will readily rust if not protected. My little RP SC2 is plain steel so I keep it in a clip lock box with some rust preventative paper.  Some chucks like the OneWay and Nova are Nickel plated so obviously rust protection is considered important. With plating though you need to allow for the thickness of the coating during manufacture and it can flake off.

jay:
    I would agree with  Twisted Trees  about the availability of jaws and accessories . My chucks are all Multistar  both Duplex and Titan  in the two sizes  both inboard and outboard to fit my Canadian General 260 and Graduate . Most important to me has been having originally  (30+ yrs ago ) and obtaining secondhand  a full range of jaws and other accessories   cole jaws ,hollow centres ,various prong drives ,a very good live centre  etc . This has meant that  I have seldom had difficulty in work holding even when I made a living turning at it . An added bonus as far as I am concerned it was all developed and manufactured in the UK when the company was owned by John Lovat  a great engineer who had a continuous QC process that checked each stage of manufacture before progressing to the next stage. This resulted in a very low rejection rate at the final stage 

seventhdevil:
just realised that i've got a pic of all my chucks on the wall.

don't use the wooden jawed ones but they are there if i need to.

seems i have three goliath chucks one with the 16" jaws and the two to the right with the goliath and mega jaws. the big one gives me something like 7" of grip. very handy for doing big stuff...

paragon428:
Hi

I am about to start using an |RP300 collet chuck - any advise appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version