General Category > General Discussion

what is so special about certain chucks?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bill21:
Most chucks seem to have their pro’s and con’s. The current Axminster chucks are stainless steel which is a pro. At the last count Axminster also offer twice as many accessory jaws than virtually any other manufacturer. If you have a Sorby, RP SC3 or SC4, a Nova or a Charnwood Nexus then I believe the accessory jaws share the same mount. Unfortunately many of them are just slightly different versions of the same thing. One chuck that I know many folks avoided was the Nova as it tightened the opposite way to all the others - I noticed some time ago that they’ve now given up on this idea and latest versions tighten the same way as other makes! I’ve seen chucks with quick change  jaws but sadly with very few jaw options. Different features appeal to different turners and obviously price is a factor. I’ve had a couple of SK100’s and can’t fault them. I did a while ago buy a little RP SC2 and it’s also a very nice little Chuck but RP don’t make many different jaws for it. My advice is to look closely at the accessory jaws available to see if they suit your needs. Some makes of jaws also seem to be better designed than others. Is there also a locking screw so you can run the lathe in the other direction?

Twisted Trees:
The chuck itself is just the driver, the important thing is the jaws with some caveats, I started with RS Patriot later added the Nova, then changed lathe so new spindle size caused a refocus. I had been using various chucks at the club, chose Axminster simply because they had a range of jaws that exceeded my perceived needs, I like the swap out carrier method of switching jaws, and the compatibility over years was a good plus.

I have used many different chucks over the years, most I have given little thought to as they had a set of jaws on them and I made a mortice or tenon that fitted used the chuck key to fit to the wood and cut, any failures in the years I have been turning have been my fault not the chucks.

I don't know about the more recent appearance of "cheaper" chuck kits, but if they are well made and grip the work piece then they get the job done.

Bill21:
A couple of points I missed out. The Axminster and Sorby chucks are made in the UK, so supporting Jobs here. Other makes appear to be made in the US or China. Some chucks are direct threaded, often in M33 x 3.5.
I bought a Chuck that required an insert and found that in use the chuck was not perfectly concentric with the spindle. This may not be an issue if you are turning large bowls etc but is not good if you need to rechuck something like a small box. Vibration can be an issue as well. If I decide to buy another Chuck of any make then it will only be a direct threaded version - M33 in my case.
For some strange reason Australian lathes seem to have a slightly different version of the M33 x 3.5, often called M33 short I believe? It’s a bit of a minefield for newcomers to the hobby isn’t it!  ;D

seventhdevil:
that's a good point about the inserts.
i think i had forgotten that the old RS chuck was a threaded insert one, but then again it was only a 3/4" 16tpi lathe that i had back then, the SIP 01940.

once i upgraded to the Jet 3520B i started to buy the clubman chucks (one with the lathe) and acquired 3-4 over the years.

not sure i need any more chucks now as i think i have all my jaws mounted on their own chuck body.

Paul Hannaby:
I started with an Axminster "woodturners" chuck 20-odd years ago and when I upgraded the lathe, I bought a Super Precision chuck, which I think the Toolmex/Bison versions are the best chucks Axminster ever sold.
Since then, Axminster discontinued the line and brought in the Evolution chuck which in my opinion, will never be as good as the Super Precision so I have bought several SP chucks second hand and now have enough to see me out!  ;D

Although none of my chucks are stainless or plated, I have never had a problem with rust on any of them so to me, that one is a bit of a red herring.

Apart from the 4" scroll chucks, I have a collet chuck and a mini 2" chuck which get used occasionally but with a good selection of jaws for the SP chucks, it isn't often I need anything else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version