General Category > General Discussion

Wood suppliers

(1/4) > >>

SimonGibson:
Hi everyone,

I am trying to list out some suppliers of exotic woods in the UK.
I have a few commissions and am struggling to find Jatoba and Hickory,
I need spindle blanks 2x2 inch and at least 6ft long or timber I can cut them from.

Can anyone recommend who would stock this or where to try, I have tried all the turner suppliers that I can think of.

Thanks in advance

Les Symonds:
Would it not be better to give a moment's consideration for the carbon footprint of timber moved half way around a planet when there are more than enough trees growing on your doorstep? Whilst I, like so many turners, revelled in the amazement of the exotics when I learned to turn, I have long since adopted a policy of buying timber that grows within an hour's travel of my home. We owe it to the planet that supports us.

SimonGibson:

--- Quote from: Les Symonds on April 10, 2022, 08:15:30 PM ---Would it not be better to give a moment's consideration for the carbon footprint of timber moved half way around a planet when there are more than enough trees growing on your doorstep? Whilst I, like so many turners, revelled in the amazement of the exotics when I learned to turn, I have long since adopted a policy of buying timber that grows within an hour's travel of my home. We owe it to the planet that supports us.

--- End quote ---

I understand exactly what you are saying and agree with you, most of my stock I collect around home on the country roads where trees have been cut down or blown over in the wind.
The reason I need these specific pieces is due to their intended use, they are for a karate club out of which some ancient karate weapons are going to be made, it has been requested due to the strength weight and bending properties. Under normal circumstances it is of utmost importance to me to support local industry and again local stock.

Bill21:
Perhaps Ash would be a suitable substitute for the Hickory?

seventhdevil:

--- Quote from: SimonGibson on April 10, 2022, 10:06:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: Les Symonds on April 10, 2022, 08:15:30 PM ---Would it not be better to give a moment's consideration for the carbon footprint of timber moved half way around a planet when there are more than enough trees growing on your doorstep? Whilst I, like so many turners, revelled in the amazement of the exotics when I learned to turn, I have long since adopted a policy of buying timber that grows within an hour's travel of my home. We owe it to the planet that supports us.

--- End quote ---

I understand exactly what you are saying and agree with you, most of my stock I collect around home on the country roads where trees have been cut down or blown over in the wind.
The reason I need these specific pieces is due to their intended use, they are for a karate club out of which some ancient karate weapons are going to be made, it has been requested due to the strength weight and bending properties. Under normal circumstances it is of utmost importance to me to support local industry and again local stock.

--- End quote ---

the only place i know that sells both is Yandles but they won't always have it in.

Robinia would be a good substitute for the Hickory if you can't get it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version