General Category > General Discussion

Wood suppliers

<< < (3/4) > >>

Twisted Trees:
As Steve says, call Yandles they are a sawmill not just a stockist and have cut custom sizes for me in the past. Or use Ash and enjoy the repeat orders when they break them  ::)

SimonGibson:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on April 13, 2022, 02:20:31 PM ---As Steve says, call Yandles they are a sawmill not just a stockist and have cut custom sizes for me in the past. Or use Ash and enjoy the repeat orders when they break them  ::)

--- End quote ---

I think that is the best idea make them look good but not to last too long :)

SimonGibson:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on April 13, 2022, 11:22:57 AM ---
--- Quote from: SimonGibson on April 13, 2022, 08:48:24 AM ---
--- Quote from: Bill21 on April 11, 2022, 10:10:56 AM ---Perhaps Ash would be a suitable substitute for the Hickory?

--- End quote ---

Hi Bill21, Thank you but we have tried ash and it does not hold up to the impact they end up with a lot of dings in there weapons.

--- End quote ---

Given that Ash has been used on tool handles and other other items in this country for hundreds of years I have to wonder what they’re doing with these “weapons”.  ::)
A friend of mine used to go to Historical reenactments ( Cavaliers v Roundheads) and they used to use Ash for their Pikestaffs. Historically accurate, I don’t remember hearing about broken ones.

--- End quote ---

Not that they are breaking but ending up with a surface full of dents, the problem is they have historically had them in hickory so I suppose a old mindset on there part maybe I need to try changing there mind :). 

SimonGibson:
On another note does anyone know who to get veneer from I am after a rather large section to cover a dining room table.

Thanks

John Peachey:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on April 13, 2022, 11:22:57 AM ---
--- Quote from: SimonGibson on April 13, 2022, 08:48:24 AM ---
--- Quote from: Bill21 on April 11, 2022, 10:10:56 AM ---Perhaps Ash would be a suitable substitute for the Hickory?

--- End quote ---

Hi Bill21, Thank you but we have tried ash and it does not hold up to the impact they end up with a lot of dings in there weapons.

--- End quote ---

Given that Ash has been used on tool handles and other other items in this country for hundreds of years I have to wonder what they’re doing with these “weapons”.  ::)
A friend of mine used to go to Historical reenactments ( Cavaliers v Roundheads) and they used to use Ash for their Pikestaffs. Historically accurate, I don’t remember hearing about broken ones.

--- End quote ---

I believe that the wood needs to be 'ding' resistant, as the edges of the dings can cause injury. These are likely to be some sort of striking weapon at speed unlike the sort of action you would take with a pike.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version