General Category > General Discussion

Wood Identification

<< < (2/2)

Tim Pettigrew:

--- Quote from: seventhdevil on May 04, 2022, 10:32:18 AM ---common alder, Alnus glutinosa...

--- End quote ---
Many thanks Steve.
Tim

Les Symonds:

--- Quote from: Tim Pettigrew on May 04, 2022, 10:27:05 AM ---...... I would be most grateful for any turning tips

Tim

--- End quote ---

Hi Tim...I've made several items out of alder and the main issue has always been one of dealing with what is a fairly soft and highly absorbent timber. The usual precautions of sharp tools, finer and finer cuts before extensive sanding, need to be followed. Sanding sealer tends to be absorbed rapidly, making a wax finish a bit of a bind, so I tend to use Aerosol acrylic lacquer whenever I work this wood...but it's all worth it for that lovely, rich colour.

Les

Tim Pettigrew:

--- Quote from: Les Symonds on May 04, 2022, 09:23:26 PM ---Hi Tim...I've made several items out of alder and the main issue has always been one of dealing with what is a fairly soft and highly absorbent timber. The usual precautions of sharp tools, finer and finer cuts before extensive sanding, need to be followed. Sanding sealer tends to be absorbed rapidly, making a wax finish a bit of a bind, so I tend to use Aerosol acrylic lacquer whenever I work this wood...but it's all worth it for that lovely, rich colour.
Les

--- End quote ---
Many thanks for that advice Les.  As regards finishing I was thinking I might try several coats of Finishing Oil followed by buffing and a final buff using Microcrystalline wax.  I'll post in the gallery when done.  Am just waiting for permission to collect the wood from the borough council who own the land, so turning let alone finishing, a very long way off yet!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version