Author Topic: DUST EXTRACTION  (Read 2488 times)

Offline chunkey monkey

• copper
DUST EXTRACTION
« on: May 22, 2022, 08:58:24 AM »
Can anyone recommend a half decent dust extractor , I have one that is like a jet engine when you switch it on,  I have a Shepach unit!
My lathe room is about 8ft square so the unit would be outside the room,  what setups do you guys have that you are happy with.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: DUST EXTRACTION
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 10:46:48 AM »
We use a small Camvac unit at our club and it’s quite quiet as it has a hose from the outlet into a home made “baffle” box and this really seems to help. A friend has a similar setup. Some folks just poke the outlet pipe outside though.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 11:08:42 AM »
I use a chip extractor in a separate building with 5" galvanise ducting this in turn uses a large cyclone which dumps direct into a 400 litre garden waste bin, not perfect, but quiet for me and the neighbours, and gets the dust and shavings out of my workshop.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 09:31:15 PM »
this was my old set up and if i needed to have one again i'd get the same.

sadly no one seems to make the larger black cyclones any more so you may have to make your own.

the single bag extractor from axminster sucked 2000m3 per hour.

Offline chunkey monkey

• copper
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 08:53:54 AM »
Most of my problem would be finer dusts, most of my chips and shavings end up in a large container under the lathe, my extractor unit is outside the room but when switched on the noise is loud !!
I am considering buying a 12" portable fan ,like the ones we use in building work to expel dust from the room when you are demolishing a wall etc  ,these I have used a lot and they sure expel the crap!
I would mount this in the roof space and duct it in 12" to the back of my workshop and outside, then bring the flexible 12" inlet into my craft room ceiling above the lathe and have it on a rise n fall cable to lower it to height above the lathe chuck.
These are relatively quiet units, and are about £100 ,light and portable and less energy consuming, I will borrow the one I've used for building work and give it a try in the next week!    Thanks for all your reply's

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 03:49:26 PM »
The disadvantage with venting all the dust laden air outside is that during the colder months, that would also remove all the warm air and replace it with cold air - making it too cold to work, possibly causing condensation issues and adding to your heating bill.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 03:55:37 PM »
The disadvantage with venting all the dust laden air outside is that during the colder months, that would also remove all the warm air and replace it with cold air - making it too cold to work, possibly causing condensation issues and adding to your heating bill.

Yes, good point. I’ve heard this mentioned before.

Offline chunkey monkey

• copper
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 04:11:14 PM »
That's a good point! but I don't heat workshop in winter, and I could be the coolest turner in the country during the hot summer!!!

Offline jay

• copper
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 09:49:22 AM »
  As Paul says above my system extracts 2050 c/m per hr  cools the shop down instantly but even funnier holds the door shut so tight even shoulder barging won't open it . So now I wedge the door in case i need to abandon ship in a hurry !!!!!  :)  Good thing is it clears the chips from my spindle moulder cutting  a 5 " kerf  but not often in winter!!!

Offline chunkey monkey

• copper
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 10:06:40 PM »
I see I can buy a motor controller with the fan unit and slow it right down to the speeds I need .
It seems dust extraction although totally necessary is an expensive part of woodturning!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 07:23:19 PM »

However Expensive you can not buy another pair of Lungs Regards John
John Smith

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 10:38:57 AM »
I also use a Record Power AC400 Air Filter in my shed.

Offline chunkey monkey

• copper
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2022, 12:05:08 PM »
I will also look at the camvac twin motor ,have any of you gone this route ?

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 02:26:35 PM »
Can anyone recommend a half decent dust extractor , I have one that is like a jet engine when you switch it on,  I have a Shepach unit!
My lathe room is about 8ft square so the unit would be outside the room,  what setups do you guys have that you are happy with.

This one looks good , Good filtering and a noise reducing acoustic hood
https://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,7024.0.html

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2022, 07:29:26 PM »
One of the best methods to combat dust in the workshop is not to make as much dust in the first place. Yes all of our work needs to be sanded but try to improve your tooling skills so that you don't have to use so much abrasion. When you do need to extract dust try to extract it as close to the source as possible. This will reduce the amount of dust in the air.