General Category > General Discussion

Air compressor

<< < (2/3) > >>

Les Symonds:
When I first considered this, I wrote to Pascal Oudet and he was very forthcoming with info...this is what he told me...

Hello Les
Pressure: as high as possible, without breaking everything ! I sandblast usually between 4 and 7 bars. But you need plenty of airflow, so a good compressor. The tank size doesn't matter, but the flow needs to be high (depends on your nozzle size, but 36m3/hour is a good basis, I'll let you convert in cfm if you're imperial).
But you're right, it's slow. i spend from one to several days on each piece.
Pascal

Hope this also helps...Les

Bill21:
I have been meaning to try sand blasting wood at some point. Do any of you know what media wood turners have used for their work? I ask because I’ve use Aluminium Oxide for all of my work on metal but I happened to try it on some white Nylon the other day and it stained it brown.

Removing all the media and cleaning the cabinet out before reloading with a different type is something of a chore.

David Buskell:
Bill,

The most regular user of sandblasting, as far as I can see, is Eleanor Lakelin in the Cockpit Arts, Deptford studio. It's their open weekend next week so a good opportunity to go over and talk to the lady herself. If not, she is on email and social media.

David

Bill21:
Thanks. When I have some wood I want to blast I’ll maybe send an email.

Paul Hannaby:
If you don't want the Alox brown grit, try the white ceramic grit instead. That doesn't stain. I've used (and still use) both on wood and never had a problem with staining with either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version