Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 1072 times)

Offline paragon428

• iron
  • Needed a new hobby so taken up woodturning
Getting Started
« on: June 10, 2022, 06:24:08 PM »
Hi all,

As I am very new to wood turning I have a few questions after visiting a friend who is selling a lathe and some very useful tools.

One thing I have is a Record Power RP3000 Collet Chuck which I cant fathom how to use - does anyone have any advice/manual/link to a video??

Next thing is I started with a very cheap ALDI special lather and currently can only do between centres work. My friend is offering me a SIP 1938 with the above and my aim is to be able to make salt and pepper grinders as well as small bowls and pens etc. I am a toolmaker to trade (albeit 35 years ago) but really like getting behind a machine again.

Any advice on what I should be paying for a 10ish year old SIP 1938?

Thanks all, and hope to be posting and commenting loads in the future.

Tom
Tom

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 12:08:57 AM »
I think the SIP 1938 is like most other Reeves drive lathes. They work well enough but you must keep the drive system clean and lubricated.

The instructions for doing so should be very similar to the Axminster version. Look under maintenance here:

https://cdn.axminstertools.com/media/downloads/105116_manual.pdf

I personally wouldn’t bother with the chuck but buy a cheap scroll chuck to fit the lathe instead. Try and get something compatible with Record Power/Nova/Sorby jaws and you’ll have plenty of options for accessory jaws.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Getting Started
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 03:36:49 PM »
Tom,

Check your e-mail inbox.
I have posted you the instructions for a very similar chuck.

Let me know if something does not get through, there should be 8 e-mails in all.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!