Author Topic: Help with wiring on Record dml  (Read 1224 times)

Offline eeng21

• iron
Help with wiring on Record dml
« on: June 09, 2022, 06:26:13 PM »
Hi Folks,
Recently helped a friend to change the capacitor supplied by Record Power on the record dml 305. All went well until it was tested - it ran in reverse ! Spoke to Record Power who said that there is not a polarity issue on the capacitor.
Any ideas? Could that be the result of wiring the capacitor into the negative rather than the positive side? Record suggested a new motor, but a bit reluctant to do the when it runs fine, just in the wrong direction
Thanks, Bruce

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Help with wiring on Record dml
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 01:20:39 AM »
It sounds like a wiring issue rather than a faulty motor. Do you have photo or diagram of the before and after wiring?

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 12:47:09 PM »
It's got to be a simple issue like a crossed wire.  If the motor is running OK then it would be a very expensive and needless to replace it with one that just replicated the fault in the wiring.  I have the VS version of the DML305 (since 2009) and had to check the wiring once when I had switch problems.   It was not complicated but easy enough to reconnect to the wrong terminals and cause the problem you are experiencing.

Tim

Offline monty

• iron
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 04:15:18 PM »
the capacitor is there to start the motor rotating by delaying the build up of voltage in the windings. dirrection of rotation is change d by changing over the input connections .
look on internet at single phase capacitor start motor, and how to reverse capaciter start motor.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 12:01:14 AM »
These days I always take a picture of any wiring before I replace things like capacitors just in case.

Offline eeng21

• iron
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 08:53:54 PM »
Thanks for all your help, I’m pretty sure now that it is a case of reversed wiring, so as soon as I see my friend I will get started on it.