General Category > General Discussion

Primary colour wood dye/stains

(1/3) > >>

Auldfart2010:

I'm going Google blind looking for coloured stain or dye that I can use for toys etc.  There are tons of natural wood colours but very little in the way of primary colours. Is water based more likely to fade compared to spirit based? I'm on a tight budget and will only be using it on a casual basis. Is 100ml bottle enough for small projects?

Twisted Trees:
You probably won't find primary colour stain, they are designed to blend with the wood and show the grain so the underlying timber will change the actual colour. Once dry there is little difference in water or spirit base, water usually gives you more application time. but if you want primary colours you really need to be looking at a paint. There are many toy safe acrylic paints about.

julcle:
Get yourself a sample set from Chestnut products and have a play with them, there is lots of information on their website about toysafe and food safe products and Terry is very helpful with email contacts. The same applies with Martin Saben-Smith at the woodturning shop.

Bill21:
Several companies sell them, like these from Chestnut. You can also use fabric dyes.

Wood spinner:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on October 16, 2022, 08:28:20 PM ---Several companies sell them, like these from Chestnut. You can also use fabric dyes.

--- End quote ---

Rainbow ? I see no Rainbow colour ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version