General Category > For Sale / Wanted

Wanted Magma Titan 400 lathe****ACQUIRED****

<< < (2/2)

Bill21:
New ones are on offer at the moment.  Only £5,320!  >:(

Wood spinner:
Is that Imported into the UK with all tax / shipping fees and 20% UK vat on top ?

Duncan A:
The GUSS model shown is cast iron, and much cheaper than the steel fabricated model that Woodspinner is offering, in part due to the use of generic Taiwanese electrics. Nothing wrong with that, but some would prefer the European electrics on the steel model.
Duncan

Finchley_turner:
After 1 month in storage I finally assembled, levelled and bolted down my Magma Titan 400

Bill21:

--- Quote from: Duncan A on December 21, 2022, 02:17:35 PM ---The GUSS model shown is cast iron, and much cheaper than the steel fabricated model that Woodspinner is offering, in part due to the use of generic Taiwanese electrics. Nothing wrong with that, but some would prefer the European electrics on the steel model.
Duncan

--- End quote ---

That’s an interesting comment. As far as I’m aware, cast iron has always been regarded as the premier material for machine tools for its rigidity and vibration absorption. I suppose this is why the majority are made of it. For a machine that doesn’t need high precision though like a wood turning lathe then a welded steel fabrication is good enough.

I used to wonder why a small number of manufacturers used fabrication for wood lathes and it’s probably down to vertical integration. Welding up steel parts in house as required is likely cheaper than ordering large numbers of complete lathe beds and heads from a foundry?

I’m guessing Taiwanese lathes are cast, machined and assembled by one company to reduce costs.

As for electrics many high quality parts are made in the Far East. Mitsubishi are regarded as manufacturers of some of the best inverters on the market and they are made in Thailand.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version