General Category > General Discussion

Sad woodturning death.

<< < (6/6)

seventhdevil:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on February 01, 2023, 07:02:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: Paul Hannaby on February 01, 2023, 06:25:39 PM ---

The Trend airshield respirator body (what you referred to as a helmet) has no impact rating, it's just a box to hold the fan, electrics etc. One person who was injured wearing one of those had a fractured skull and the piece of wood went straight through the respirator body above the visor. The visor offers protection and the dust filtration is high enough but it doesn't offer anything more.

--- End quote ---

It says on the Trend website “Eye protection BS EN 166:2002 (Medium Energy Impact)”

I wonder what that’s supposed to mean. It’s very difficult to get an exact specification for these sort of items.

I’ve always liked the look of the Powermatic Lathes but thought the safety cage was a bit OTT. Maybe not if you turn large segmented stuff.  ;)

--- End quote ---

the first thing i did when i bought my 3520B was remove the cage.

Paul Hannaby:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on February 01, 2023, 07:02:39 PM ---It says on the Trend website “Eye protection BS EN 166:2002 (Medium Energy Impact)”

I wonder what that’s supposed to mean. It’s very difficult to get an exact specification for these sort of items.

--- End quote ---

No specification is quoted because the visor shell doesn't meet any.

BS EN 166 is the European standard for the visor. Medium impact is EN 166: B (which will be engraved on the visor somewhere - possibly with a whole string of letters and numbers that relate to the other properties of the visor such as optical clarity, protection against hot/molten metals etc.).

BS EN 166 is just the rating for the visor, nothing else. A hard hat would have its own separate applicable standard. The JSP powercap IP quotes EN812 which is a bump cap rating. Hard hats are BS EN 397.

Then you have the standard for the dust protection which is EN12941.

To throw another spanner in the works - the visors have a limited shelf life because they degrade over time due to UV exposure, chemicals etc. I use the Honeywell Bionic visors and the manufacturer's quoted shelf life for the visors is 2 years so I replace mine every 2 years. How many people with respirators replace the visors at the prescribed interval?

The Bowler Hatted Turner:

--- Quote from: Paul Hannaby on February 02, 2023, 08:17:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bill21 on February 01, 2023, 07:02:39 PM ---It says on the Trend website “Eye protection BS EN 166:2002 (Medium Energy Impact)”

--- End quote ---

No specification is quoted because the visor shell doesn't meet any.

BS EN 166 is the European standard for the visor. Medium impact is EN 166: B (which will be engraved on the visor somewhere - possibly with a whole string of letters and numbers that relate to the other properties of the visor such as optical clarity, protection against hot/molten metals etc.).

BS EN 166 is just the rating for the visor, nothing else. A hard hat would have its own separate applicable standard. The JSP powercap IP quotes EN812 which is a bump cap rating. Hard hats are BS EN 397.

Then you have the standard for the dust protection which is EN12941.

To throw another spanner in the works - the visors have a limited shelf life because they degrade over time due to UV exposure, chemicals etc. I use the Honeywell Bionic visors and the manufacturer's quoted shelf life for the visors is 2 years so I replace mine every 2 years. How many people with respirators replace the visors at the prescribed interval?

--- End quote ---
How many people change the filters regularly?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version