General Category > General Discussion

Sad woodturning death.

<< < (2/6) > >>

Les Symonds:

--- Quote from: Bourbon25 on January 15, 2023, 01:52:42 PM ---If you read the report. It was a glued up blank of three pieces

--- End quote ---
The report does not say anything about it being glued up...it could have been a big-heavy cross grained bowl being held by a tenon in a chuck with jaws much too small for the bowl's weight, especially if it was timber with cracks in it, or bark inclusions. A bad catch could result in the bowl shattering and the tenon remaining in the chuck. I think that the lesson here is that we cannot make assumptions on the evidence in the report; it's phraseology suggests that the writer has little understanding of the processes involved. This is a shame, because full information about the incident could be used to inform others, but with the scant information in this article, people will simply draw their own (and sometimes wrong) conclusions.

Les

Bill21:
I agree Les. If we had more information then lessons could be learned from this tragic incident.

willstewart:
Also agree - more information would help and might even save lives  A job for AWGB?

I have been very cautious (ie slow) turning big pieces like green burrs, I do see that a mask/visor (was he wearing one?) might not be enough.

Twisted Trees:
Don't think a family's tragedy is an appropriate place for the AWGB to be asking questions, and I doubt that there is sufficient knowledge in the data collectors to provide helpful answers anyway. As this person was a professional woodworker I think we can all understand that it was probably complacency.

Who hasn't turned a lathe on without checking the speed at least once, got a distraction and got a catch that shouldn't of happened. Or done something else that may have led to no problem or been a disaster by difference of part of a second or a few inches.

Be thankful that this is a rare occurrence, but aware that injuries do happen, take precautions, be aware of your position in regard to moving or potential flying things and enjoy creating things from wood.

seventhdevil:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on January 20, 2023, 03:36:09 PM ---Don't think a family's tragedy is an appropriate place for the AWGB to be asking questions, and I doubt that there is sufficient knowledge in the data collectors to provide helpful answers anyway. As this person was a professional woodworker I think we can all understand that it was probably complacency.

Who hasn't turned a lathe on without checking the speed at least once, got a distraction and got a catch that shouldn't of happened. Or done something else that may have led to no problem or been a disaster by difference of part of a second or a few inches.

Be thankful that this is a rare occurrence, but aware that injuries do happen, take precautions, be aware of your position in regard to moving or potential flying things and enjoy creating things from wood.

--- End quote ---

as a 20 year Bench joiner and a 15 year wood turner i can tell you that they have very little in common. i suspect it was more an accident due to lack of knowledge rather than complacency.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version