Author Topic: Axminster AP406WL Assembly  (Read 898 times)

Offline Turnbull

• iron
Axminster AP406WL Assembly
« on: March 11, 2023, 08:59:43 PM »
Hello everyone.  😀
Before I assemble this lathe I was wondering, due to the combind weight of the headstock and bedways being a big challeng to lift onto the legs would it be an option to remove the inverter from inside the bedways enabling the complete separation of the headstock and bedways.
I dont want to remove any of the wiring from the terminals to do this.
Much appreciated.

Dave

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Axminster AP406WL Assembly
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 10:35:40 PM »
I helped a friend set up his lathe and the head came off easily without interfering with the electrics.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 03:37:38 AM »
If you are not able to get help / assistance
1 Block and tackle from a overhead beam ( If you have one )
2 Hire a engine crane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQlJyZyxxm0

Must be some help available ????

Offline Turnbull

• iron
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 08:41:15 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will give it a go.
Cheers
Dave

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 12:30:03 PM »
Talking about an improvised hoist I recently had great fun making one for lifting heavy greeen oak.  The project got off the ground (excuse the pun) with unexpected help from the Middle Aisle of Lidl   See my short You Tube video on this https://youtu.be/aEWJbnC1xl4  The hoist has proved useful in other ways and a similar approach might possibly help with your problem.

Tim

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 02:00:19 PM »
The head is heavy, and a two man lift for most folks. If it has to be done single handed then removing the motor may be an answer.

I bought an engine hoist when we moved house to enable me to assemble machines single handed. They’re rather cumbersome though.

Offline Richard_C

• iron
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 06:06:58 PM »
Faced with a similar task on a RP lathe, I removed all that I easily could (tailstock, banjo, helpfully it came with the motor un-fitted), moved the headstock to the centre then used leverage and things I had lying around including a workmate and a couple of trestles.  Lift one end a bit, put block underneath, lift the other, repeat .... with tea break along the way and great care not to have it all tumbling down.  Neighbours would have helped willingly but one had a recent new hip and the other is waiting for one so i didn't want to ask. 

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 08:14:33 AM »
I’ve done the same Richard. Surprising what one person can move with a bit of ingenuity.