General Category > General Discussion

AWGB Poor Forum support

<< < (3/6) > >>

jay:

--- Quote from: Les Symonds on May 01, 2023, 07:33:18 AM ---
--- Quote from: Bill21 on April 30, 2023, 10:46:07 AM ---This has to be one of the most poorly supported wood turning forums I’ve seen on the Internet.
Is there a reason for this I’m not aware of?

--- End quote ---

One other consideration, Bill21, is the gaining popularity of relevant tuition. This is an aspect of learning which is currently extremely popular and I know from experience tbat students attending my courses arrive with a host of questions that they want answered. It could be possible that before tuition was so freely available, those questions made it onto fora such as this, but no longer do so in any great quantity.

Les

--- End quote ---

Its many years since I had any tuition but I found that it was far more help than any other  learning from books video etc . There is a 3 dimensional aspect and a lightness of touch  to tool control that is simple to grasp with tuition and difficult to visualize  from illustration or film 

Bourbon25:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on May 01, 2023, 11:31:57 AM ---Actually I’m on a couple of Engineering Forums and they get lots of new posts every day.

As for newbies, yes we all need to seek advice when first starting out but many seem to take up woodturning without doing any research at all before spending their money. An obvious example that comes up quite often is some buy an old lathe and then find there aren’t any chucks available to fit it. A little research beforehand would have exposed the problem. Another issue I’ve seen on Social media is that some newcomers having made a mistake still intend to go down a particular path in spite of more experienced turners trying to give them helpful advice.

--- End quote ---

So posting on a forum and asking questions isn't research then? News to me.
Another  one of my many hobbies is Medieval re-enactment. I demonstrate pewter casting. I sometimes get the same, sometimes very simple, question asked 4-5 times an hour. Yes I have heard the question before, BUT, and this is the important bit, it is the FIRST time the person has asked that question. I don't belittle them, I listen carefully to them, and then answer them politely and without judgement. Do we require our audience to 'do their research' before the come to an event? of course we don't. That's exactly the same with any newbie in any situation.

Bill21:

--- Quote from: Bourbon25 on May 01, 2023, 09:58:12 PM ---
--- End quote ---

You’re being deliberately argumentative. But no, asking advice on a forum instead of seeking accurate manufacturers data for example is not proper research.  Especially compared to much of the dubious advice I’ve seen expressed on places like FB.

Les Symonds:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on May 02, 2023, 10:11:28 AM ---
--- Quote from: Bourbon25 on May 01, 2023, 09:58:12 PM ---
--- End quote ---

You’re being deliberately argumentative. But no, asking advice on a forum instead of seeking accurate manufacturers data for example is not proper research.  Especially compared to much of the dubious advice I’ve seen expressed on places like FB.

--- End quote ---

I think that this highlights exactly why so many new turners seek their advice from professionals during training days. You only have to look at the level of disagreement in a thread such as this to understand why novice turners can sometimes become confused by the variation in responses.

Bill21:
It’s even worse on social media. Some of the comments are hilariously inaccurate to say the least.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version