General Category > General Discussion

A Contentious Issue?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bill21:

--- Quote from: Bourbon25 on May 01, 2023, 10:00:56 PM ---not really ready for 'immediate use' It's not plugged into an air line.

--- End quote ---

Check the picture again, it clearly is plugged into an airline.  ::)

John Peachey:
I have a feeling that when I started out the advice was not to use an extractor to suck the debris out, because the shavings can be hot, and you wouldn't want hot debris in the extractor. Trouble is I can't remember where I saw the advice, or whether I dreamt it. >:(

I think in all likely hood, anything being hot enough to either ignite something in the extractor is low. I'm not sure whether the air/dust ratio in the bin of an extractor could ever get to the point where it might explode.

I see people use air lines to clear debris and shudder. I don't think it is any slower to have a fine nozzle on the extractor and suck up the rubbish. I certainly don't want dust that has settled back in the air again.
Just my two penny worth.

John

Bill21:
That sounds highly unlikely.
I suspect very hot metal from a grinder is far more likely to cause a problem but in spite of this Axminster sell an extractor hose for their Ultimate Edge.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-professional-32mm-flexible-hose-non-flammable-107753

I suspect that there is more than enough time for the debris to cool sufficiently before it enters the extractor bin to be an issue?

The Bowler Hatted Turner:

--- Quote from: John Peachey on May 02, 2023, 05:41:06 PM ---I have a feeling that when I started out the advice was not to use an extractor to suck the debris out, because the shavings can be hot, and you wouldn't want hot debris in the extractor. Trouble is I can't remember where I saw the advice, or whether I dreamt it. >:(

I think in all likely hood, anything being hot enough to either ignite something in the extractor is low. I'm not sure whether the air/dust ratio in the bin of an extractor could ever get to the point where it might explode.

I see people use air lines to clear debris and shudder. I don't think it is any slower to have a fine nozzle on the extractor and suck up the rubbish. I certainly don't want dust that has settled back in the air again.
Just my two penny worth.

John

--- End quote ---
John may I add that sawdust and shavings in the same bin have been the cause of many fires within the woodworking industry over the years.

John Peachey:

--- Quote from: The Bowler Hatted Turner on July 08, 2023, 09:00:41 PM ---

--- End quote ---
John may I add that sawdust and shavings in the same bin have been the cause of many fires within the woodworking industry over the years.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I have been doing some hollowing recently, and was quite surprised at how warm the shavings in the vase were. As I said the 'not to use the dust extractor is something half remembered from way back.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version