General Category > General Discussion

Lathe Upgrade

<< < (2/2)

Twisted Trees:
Record Power have a similar offering at just over half the price https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/cast-iron-electronic-variable-speed-lathe which is a manageable weight / size.

Bill21:
I don’t think the RP is in the same league as the Axminster, hence the lower price. It does have a better spindle capacity but has 2” less swing. The Axminster also has a trade rated three phase motor and inverter. I’ve seen lots of the Axminster lathe at shows and they seem popular at clubs due to their portability. I’ve been very pleased with mine. The only drawback I found was the spindle capacity but then Axminster introduced the 280mm extension which I have permanently mounted to mine.

Alan Wallington:
Many thanks for all your replies but I am still undecided.  Has anyone upgraded a small lathe?
I have a few ideas, but best keep them to myself at the moment.
Yes I did mean an 1 inch by 8tpi.

Bill21:
What sort of upgrades did you have in mind? Some folks I know have replaced motors and added an inverter to provide variable speed. The majority of new lathes now come with M33 x 3.5mm spindles. Personally I’d avoid any of the budget lathes with 1” x 8 in case you want to upgrade to a bigger lathe later on. M33 x 3.5 has become something of a standard. I personally also prefer having a direct threaded chuck rather than those with thread inserts.

14767:
Hi Alan, I've sent you a PM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version