General Category > General Discussion

Projector For Demos

(1/3) > >>

Duncan A:
In jan 2020, just before the Covid lockdowns, our club, West Northants Woodturners, bought a short-throw Optoma Gt1080e projector to show demos on a screen. As we didn't meet for the best of two years, the projector hasn't had much use but has now died; probably a faulty board, not the lamp.
It seems that problems of this nature are fairly common, but it's unlikely we can get a guarantee repair given the time that has elapsed.
We are now trying to decide whether to spend £150+ on repairing the projector or get a more reliable one.

So, any recommendations from happy users out there?
Any advice, recommendations, suggestions will be very welcome.

Duncan

Bill21:
Did your club register the projector? I ask as it says here Optoma offer a 5 year warranty.

https://www.optoma.co.uk/product-details/5-year-limited-projector-warranty

Duncan A:
Thanks Bill,
I wasn't involved in the sourcing of the equipment but the website does not include this model in the list of those for which 3 or 5 year extended warranties are available.

We will probably end up biting the bullet and sending it for repair, but it would still be useful to know what projectors other people are using.

Duncan

Bill21:
My club has an Optoma but it’s a fairly old unit I believe. We also have an even older one but I’m not sure what make it is. As far as I’m aware they have both been reasonably reliable. Neither of them are short throw projectors.

julcle:
We meet in a Community Education Centre and they have replaced all of their projectors with Large Screen Monitors which are without doubt many times better that Projectors. The only down side from our point of view is that they don't have video input (only HDMI)  so we have had to buy Composite Video to HDMI converters to use the monitors. Our (club) equipment is getting quite old now and doesn't support HDMI but the picture quality on the monitors is much better than the not too old projectors.  --  Julian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version